What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sar purperea

I have never grown a sar in my life........well once but it died in a day....................Well i'm planning on getting them(a S. purperea).The question is, what is the dormancy requirement for the S purperea? Are temps at 68F at the Highest and the average low is 40F OK for dormancy?

Does S. purpurea venosa even need dormancy?
confused.gif
?

I have always been instructed to have the temps for Sarracenia during dormancy to be below 50F. Sixty-eight degrees sounds pretty high to me for proper dormancy. However, since I am up in the Northwest, I do not know what the typical winter in the Southeast is. S. purpurea ssp purpurea requires a very cold dormancy for around a five month period. S. purpurea ssp venosa requires the standard Sarracenia dormany of 3-5 months under 50F. I winter my Sarracenia outdoors for the entire winter, and I have not lost a single plant yet. I hope some of this helps you out.

LOL. If 68 were a dormancy temperature, my sarrs would be dormant year-round for the exception of about a month. I'd say that they sould be kept at about 40, and the occasional high thirties. The highest would be about 50, any higher and it might not go dormant. My sunroom tems. in the winter are usually about 40-50. Sometimes when we go out there we turn the gas stove on and for a few hours it will be about 70 but not long enough for them to come out of dormancy. So, you'll have some le-way.

Later
wink.gif
Wes

Back