What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phyllodia cuttings.

Hi, yester day I took 5 phyllodia cuttings off of my s.leucophylla 3 of which are 1 inch long,and 2 of which are 3 inches long. I did take the whole leaf base with them.My questions,do you think these will grow and strike roots, and form plantlets? And if so how long will this likely take? Thank-you, pond boy.

Pond boy, I personally have never heard of anyone successfully propogating sarracenia via phylodia cuttings. If you do not have any roots or rhyzome with the phylodia, I believe your attempts will be unsuccessful. If you have any rooting hormone, such as Superthrive, try using it to stimulate root growth. Keep us posted on the success/unsuccess of your endevour.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Stimson @ Sep. 18 2003,09:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Pond boy, I personally have never heard of anyone successfully propogating sarracenia via phylodia cuttings.  If you do not have any roots or rhyzome with the phylodia, I believe your attempts will be unsuccessful.  If you have any rooting hormone, such as Superthrive, try using it to stimulate root growth.  Keep us posted on the success/unsuccess of your endevour.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I believe that nick hubbell has had success with it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you do not have any roots or rhyzome with the phylodia, I believe your attempts will be unsuccessful.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
If you read his post carefully, you'll see that he got a peice of the rhizome with each phyllodia
smile.gif

if you get these to sprout, pond boy, I think I'll try this with my oreophylla
biggrin.gif

I`ll let you guys know if it works.(the reason I`m trying is because I was wanting to propagate something and well I was just plain bored
biggrin.gif
). S.oreophila I wish those weren`t illegal to ship.

Oh,and I got the whole leaf base with the phyllodia,is that what your talking about?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (pond boy @ Sep. 18 2003,10:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh,and I got the whole leaf base with the phyllodia,is that what your talking about?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
if there is a bit of the whitish base, the cuttings should take
smile.gif
(by the leaf base i mean the whitish base)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Stimson @ Sep. 20 2003,12:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Really?  Where?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
perhaps if you took a closer look you would see:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi, yester day I took 5 phyllodia cuttings off of my s.leucophylla 3 of which are 1 inch long,and 2  of which are 3 inches long. <span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>I did take the whole leaf base with them</span>.My questions,do you think these will grow and strike roots, and form plantlets? And if so how long will this likely take? Thank-you, pond boy. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

By leaf base he means the white rhizome

I did take a leaf cutting and did get it to root. The cutting contained a small portion of the rhizome. However, thats all it did. You are better off waiting until your plant is large enough with more than one growing point. Once it has more than one growing point, the plant can be divided.

I still have my leaf cutting, but its more or less dead. The small roots have died back and the leaf is turning yellow.

Oh, I see. He took a rhyzome cutting then. Most rhyzome cuttings can be very successfull. Once again, I would encourage the use of a rooting hormone when conducting rhyzome cuttings. It will encourage root growth, and give your rhyzome cuttings a better chance for success.

Back