What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. oreophila

My next sarr i would like to get is a oreophila. I probably won't buy it until late winter of '04 but i was wondering where i can get one. I don't think pft sells it because i've never seen it in their online store. They sell it at cook’s but it says "limited to sales in Oregon only." I know Cook’s is located in oregon but why can the sarr only be sold in there?? Does anyone know? Thanks

-buckeye

S. oreophila is on the Federal Endangered Species list. The plant cannot be traded over State boarders, nor sold outside the State. S. oreophila is also listed under CITES.

Please do not trade this plant or discuss ways to obtain the plant. Trading and selling this plant is illegal. So, do not do it nor discuss how to do it and with whom.

the only ways yuo can get the plant is if someone gives it to you as a gift , its a weird lupole but its true , that means that you don't have to pay for the plant and you can not send money to them or give them something in return .another way to get it is if there is a cp store near you in your state that does sell the plant . i got my plant from ************, the guy was real nice and i mention that my birthday was coming and he gave me a decent size beaitiful plant . good luck  , this lupole also counts for the 2 endangered arracenia rubra species as well .

I think you need a friend in Oregon who will buy it for you. Then you could get them to send it to you as a gift (I don't know if you need some sort of letter saying as such in case a postal worker opens it). Maybe someone on this forum will do it for you?

Dean is a very nice guy (at least in my experiences). If you were to ask him about it, he may send you one free, if you place an order for some other stuff with him. He gave me one last year, just stuck it in with the other plants I ordered. I didn't even ask about it. I asked him later and he said he had a lot of them and was trying to create some room for other stuff.

I've found that it never hurts to ask anyone. The worst that's going to happen is they'll say no.

Ok, thanks eveyone.
smile.gif

yah , dean is quite nice , he sitck in plants that i sometimes don't ask for and if i mention a plant that i really had a hard time looking for that he ahs an abundance of then he give it to me , for exaple i asked him for a u. subulata and a red variety of a vft and he was generous to give them to me .

I just got one from Wistuba. I only used the general permit to import all of the plants. Wether or not it's illegal that way, I dont know. But seriously, I you guys just send the plant and dont right down anything regarding the name of the species, there is no way any authorities could positively ID a rare pitcher plant like that, which would like like any other sarracenia to non cp growers.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nathaniel @ Oct. 07 2003,06:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I just got one from Wistuba.  I only used the general permit to import all of the plants.  Wether or not it's illegal that way, I dont know.  But seriously, I you guys just send the plant and dont right down anything regarding the name of the species, there is no way any authorities could positively ID a rare pitcher plant like that, which would like like any other sarracenia to non cp growers.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
its better to be safe then sorry and no one really likes to break the law , but yah this is kinda stupid but it doe help a bit if some one poached large amount of plants and wanted to send it to someone across the state boarder .

Gentlemen, remember the rules of the board. There is to be no discussion of anything illegal. Period. It only takes one person reading things the wrong way to report a situation and get PFT and all of us in trouble for good.

A general permit does not cover this plant. As far as not labeling the plant to get it past State boarders, it only takes one inspector to make an ID on the plant. If you and I can ID the plant from a photo or seeing it in person, do not put it past the inspectors. Just because it gets through, doesn't mean they didn't write your name down and the name of the person that sent the plant. Also, they have your address right on the box. You could be setting yourself up for nice bust!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Gentlemen, remember the rules of the board. There is to be no discussion of anything illegal. Period. It only takes one person reading things the wrong way to report a situation and get PFT and all of us in trouble for good.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Sorry i didn't know it was illegal. Feel free to delete this topic so pft and others don't get in trouble.

-buckeye

Buckeye,

I was not saying you did anything illegal but the conversation was treading a very fine line. I did not want to see it crossed.

The rules are there to help the poor old oreophila
sad.gif

Albeit just the kind of rules which encourage poachingf from the wild

Maybe we can encourage the ICPS to distribute Oreos just like the alabamensis this past year. The more people who grow them and give them as gifts or trade within state lines, the less the poaching pressure there will be.!!!

actually, people with the alabamensis are supposed to grow the plants untill the flower and seed, then the people are to send the seed back tot he seed bank, where the icps will germanate those seed and pass the seedlings out to others, and so on
smile.gif
untill alabamensis is no longer an endangered species (also to lower poaching pressure like you said)

Spec,
After reading the info that arrived with my plants, I got the impression that we were expected to propegate these plants and send the seeds and plants out ourselves as well as send seed to the ICPS.  While the ICPS can do a good job of distributing seed, I think that if each of us gives plants or seeds to our friends or trade/sell them to others (which we can do as long as they are not sent across state lines), it will spread these plants much quicker than if they all came from one source.

Hopefully this experiment with S. rubra ssp. alabamensis will be successful and the ICPS will be able to do the same for other endangered CPs.

alien.gif

According the US Fish and Wildlife service you can give the Oreophila, jonesii and alabamensis away for free. You can however charge shipping. I do have several small divisions of Oreophila available. Contact me off list for details. Hope this helps on this one at least.

Dean

Is it legal to trade oreophila seed from place to place.

Back