What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Protecting pitchers from high winds?

We get thunderstorms here once in a while, and they bring very high gusts with them.

Will this knock over pitchers? I'm guessing yes, but then again I didn't expect my flytraps to be as tough as shoe leather either.

How do I protect them?

Can they be staked?

Thanks!

Steve

For some of my taller Sarracenia's I put a bamboo stake near them and use a wire renforced foam rope to make a ring to hold the pitchers upright. I will send you a photo if you want. This allows them to move in the wind, but not fall over. You can buy stakes with rings for holding up "floppy" plants at garden centers, but I like the foam because I can shape it.
Marjorie

Thanks, Marjorie.

Where do you get foam rope? Seems ideal.

--Steve

Sorry--double post. Delete, please.

(Edited by steveo at 7:31 pm on April 23, 2002)

It is what my husband calls a "quest" item. You never find it the same place twice and you can't find it when you are looking for it. I have found it at a speciality "garden" store Smith & Hawkins. There it was a Belgium product called  Flori fix. I have also found it at Big Lots, there it was called Tomato and Plant Ties.

Hi,
Staking is one good idea, but to protect your plants in general; there is a wind break method which is like plastic strapping woven into squares to form a fence. This allows some wind to pass through it, but stops damaging gusts dead in its tracks. To calculate how much proctection you get; the ratio is 1:5 that means a barrier like this 4 ft high will give a 20 foot area of protection.

Back