What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. purpruea

I have a S. Purpurea and was wondering if once the "hood" opens if it will grow any more?
Also if a pitcher has already developed and is green can it turn red after it has already grown? Or if it will only turn red in its first growing and not after its done

After the hood unfolds and is almost erect but still folded it will slightly enlarge and become more pronounced. A pitcher can at anytime turn red if there is enough sunlight and the intensity strong. Nep.G.

Thats good to know.
Lately my Pitchers have been turning a nice red color and wasn't sure if that was good.

I have a purpurea on a window sill and it appears to develop red veining as it opens and whilst opening to full extent it grows outwards into the characteristic shape and then starts the process of turning completely red.

Are S.purpurea known for growing slowly? I have a plant that is either purpurea or psittacina (sp) and its growing very slowly (compared to my other Sarracenia).

Patrick

NO not at all. I have all of my Purpurea spp. Purpurea in dormancy or near it at least and they are still growing fairly fast. in the summer month mine go out of control like a weed. S.Psittacina I am not sure of but it can't be purpurea unless it is very lazy.
smile.gif
Post a PIC. of it I like to see if it is Purpurea or Psittacina. Nep.G.

By the way your spelling is correct on psittacina. Nep.G.

Sarracenia gallery
Its plant #4. I've had it for 2 or 3 months now. All of my other Sarracenia have grown two or three complete pitchers. This one has only had the pitchers grow marginally. Plant #5 is also growing at about the same rate, but I haven't the slightest clue what it is.

Patrick

Plant #4-Looks like an immature Purpurea. But it also shows characteristics to S.Psittacina. I am thinking right now a hybrid betwwen the two like-S.PurpureaxS.Psittacina.

Plant #5-Lokks like another Immature Purpurea or Psittacina. Not sure though. I would let them just grow. If you have it hit em with some SUPERTHRIVE.(1 drop per gallon.

Hope this helps. Nep.G. Also thanks for the challenge.

Trashcan I agree with NG as pic#4 looks more like psittacina than purpurea with that prominant wing. I can't really tell about#5 though.

I have both and they are rapidly outgrowing the 4" pots they are each in. They grow berserk psitticina a bit less than purpurea I would just let them grow. If you've not had them long then perhaps they are still adjusting but once they are settled they should really take off. If yours are entering dormany then this might delay them but give them time I'm sure they will reward you.

Back