What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. alata "texas"

Today, at a local nursery, I ran into a sarracenia labeled S. alata "Texas". Is this just a typical alata, but from a location in Texas? Or, are there any physical distinguishig characteristics on the "Texas" variety?

My guess is it is just an alata from Texas. I have never heard of S. alata 'Texas'

There are a "hand full" of S.alata sites in Texas. Most of them are on protected land. There are some alatas that are unique to Texas. If you look closely, you may find some subtle fenestrations around the hood. This has led people to speculate about the origins of the Texas alatas. People have wondered about possible intragression with S.leucophylla.
imduff

I have to wonder at a nursery carrying such a plant... I would be weary of field collection.

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to contact the grower/supplier of the plant. If the supplier is the one that I am thinking of, I know she does not field collect. If anyone else knows of any other distinguishing physical characteristics, please continue to post.

When I contacted the supplier of the plant, this is the reply I recieved.
"It is from [a] bog in Texas that was filled in for a road. The texture of the leaves is a little different and the color of the new leaves is richer than the more Eastern forms."

I don't know if I would buy from her. I'm not saying she poached it, but I've heard similar stories before. My personal belief is that if you rescue a plant from being bulldozed, you shouldn't sell it to make a profit. To me that seems like a loophole around poaching. If you save a plant you shoud either relocated it to a protected area or grow it and use it's offspring to restock existing bogs or protected areas. That's my 2 cents worth.

Ozzy, you make a very good point.  There is a fine line between poaching for profit and poaching to save plants.

You guys are an astute group. I'm familiar with the bog that was destroyed for a road. The plants were removed and relocated on a preserve. It's a shame that a Texas bog was lost but, at least the plants didn't get destroyed. It sounds to me like the plants being sold are OK.
imduff

I'm not pointing my finger at the woman selling the plants, I know nothing about the history of the bog or the plants. I was just saying in general I don't think the plants should be sold as profit, but I'd rather see the plants sold then destroyed. For most plants being sold is a death sentance anyway.

Not that I'm disbelieveing you but if they were relocted to a preserve how is she selling them?

Imduff, do you know where in Texas this bog was at?

imduff, I ditto brisco in asking where it is, please see my post in the conservation station fourum, topic started by me, thanks!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

You can read about it for yourselves. From the website below click on "bog tours" then "Site No.2, Warren, TX." For those interested in S.alata in Texas this is an excellent website, loaded with images.

www.carnivorousplantsoftexas.org

imduff

I visited the grower of the S. alata-Texas. She obtained seed from the location about to be bulldozed for the road by applying for the correct permits to do so. None of the plants were poached, and all the plants she is selling are from seed.

Back