What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few pics

vft guy in SJ

VFT and Drosera lover
Hey all, my grab bag plants have grown out a bit. I thought I'd share some pics. Hope you enjoy
smile.gif

Steve

cpsoct6005.jpg

cpsoct6002.jpg

cpsoct6003.jpg

cpsoct6007.jpg

cpsoct6010.jpg

cpsoct6011.jpg

what are the flat leaves what do they mean and wat are they called

They are phyllodia, basically non-carnivorous leaves used for photosynthesis in the winter.

EDIT:

Whooops sorry. I misunderstood which leaves you were talking about!

I believe the "flat" leaves are actually stunted pitchers. Some of the very first ones that came up got a little cinged on the very tips of the hood part as they aclimated themselves to my conditions. That caused them to not develop into proper pitcher form. I think you are thinking of phyllodia, which I believe are just leaves that the plants use to continue photosynthesis during the winter months when insects are scarce. No sense making pitchers to catch bugs that arent there right?

Steve

A question for you Steve, how many hours of sunlight do your plants get? Mine are either producing only phyllodia or have too little light. I'm betting on choice b, so I'm curious as to what yours are getting?

SF

Hey SF,
You cant really tell from the pics, but those Sarrs are right next to my VFT's. There is a cyclone fence a little farther off to the right which diffuses some of the early morning light, but basically they are in full sun from sunrise to about 3 pm (about 9  hours in summer, a little less now)

Steve

Edit: here is a full pic of my outside plants
cpsoct6018.jpg

Thanks, I appreciate it! I moved them outside, hoping for some green growth that looks remotely like a pitcher should!

SF
wink.gif

Back