What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turning Red

I just moved my Sarrs to a new spot outside. On my tallest leucophylla, the sun only hits about the bottom half of the leaf. I like how its nice and red up top. Does the top part have to get direct sunlight to become red? Thanks.

I think so, becasue where i had my pitchers one way, the side had gone red, but the other side there is a noticable difference of colour to it.

D'oh! Where my Sarrs are now, the bottom half is getting too much sun while the top part isn't getting any.

My pitchers are getting waaay too much sun, one side has gone purple!!
confused.gif

So are mine, some have turned brown and crispy. But they are growing new pitchers that seem to have adjusted nicely to the scorching heat
biggrin.gif

How much water do you guys give your sarrs? And how often do you pour water into the pitchers? what kind of conditions do you have them in, part sun, or full sun, southern exposure? sorry for all the questions I just got mine recently and I want to be sure not to kill it
biggrin.gif

Right now, they are getting full scorching sun from morning till about 3pm. These guys are very thirsty, so I fill up their tray once in the morning and once in the afternoon.

There's no need to pour water in pitchers apart from purpurea. They should be sitting permanently in a tray of water and be given as much sun as is possible. If you have very strong sun and they are burning though, then you know to give them less! Even in the wild, it is possible for the sun to concentrate on the sugary nectar and burn little holes in the hood, like a magnifying glass
wow.gif
wow.gif
wow.gif

Back