What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

....frozen solid

my sarracenia,vft,cobra, and temerate drosera pots Froze last night. will they be okay? should i water them? I hope they will live

thanks
mike

The temperate drosera will lose their leaves, but the Sarras and the VFT will be ok, but did did you let the plants acclimatize to a cold winter to begin with? I let mine go down to whatever it is out there and the plants have been down to -12 C with no problems, even for 1 week of freezing weather.

Don't bring them in to a warm place - let them thaw naturally.

If it was a real good freeze, the VFT may lose some leaves, and the sarras may lose alittle. If they were acclimated like mike said they will be fine. Cobra lilies get buried in snow in thier natural habitat so to them this probably isnt to big of a deal:).

Cole

From my experience, if the soil greezes/turns to ice, then the plants die. I would seriously recommend caution on letting the soil get that cold. Try mulching it with pine needles, hay, etc. or even a good layer of snow should keep the temps at about 32F. Hope that helps.

I live in NC and grow my plants outside in pots. There is not any concern for freezing pots. However, I have been surprised to find that the pots eventually dry out and need to be watered. To help protect my plants from drying, I cover the pots with pine needles. The pots still freeze but, they are protected from the drying winds.

imduff

Sounds like I can quit dragging my VFTs in at night when the temps drop below 20°F
biggrin.gif

Another important factor would be pot size. The plants seem to tolerate the freezing/thawing cycle better in larger pots. I don't use pots smaller than 10". Last winter my plants were burried in 3" of snow for about a week with no problems.
The only time I get worried is when temperatures will hit the lower teens. My plants rarely see those temperatures. I would definately mulch with pine needles on those cold nights.
imduff

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BigCarnivourKid @ Dec. 03 2002,11:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sounds like I can quit dragging my VFTs in at night when the temps drop below 20°F
biggrin.gif
.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
ummmm, freezing isn't good for VFT's but they can survive it.... sometimes.

Imduff makes a good point. I forgot to cover my flytraps the night of the 4th and my two flytraps in the little 3" pots got froze hard and I may lose one or both. The 5 plants in the large window planter didn't seem to notice the freeze.

Steve, I don't think it would bother them. I had my only 2 flytraps out on my proch, well actually my entire Sarracenia collection is out there on my porch, and we got a freeze here a while ago of about -20F everything was froze SOLID. I mean a hammer couldn't break it......all pots thawed and vft's are growing like they should be during dormancy (the slow pace).

Nepg, -20 degrees, it is that cold already? And I thought the 5 degree low we had here was bad!...
smile.gif

Yup Cole, the Canadian cold air mass hit us a week ago and it really chilled things down. 5 as a low? that's hot weather compared to -20!
biggrin.gif

Did you get all that snow too? I hate it when it misses us
mad.gif
Indiana is boring enough, but add that to no snow this close to Christmas, and that is depressing.
sad.gif

Cole

Yeah snow too!
smile.gif
Got about 5-6 inches here.

mad.gif
5-6 inches...
sad.gif

You think that's depressing
smile.gif
. We haven't even gotten an inch of snow here in Anchorage Alaska. We should have gotten snow around Holloween
mad.gif

Back