What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Icps plants

hmm... I thought I posted this earlier, but maybe I hit a wrong button...
confused.gif

For those of you who received s.alabamensis from the ICPS project, how are they doing? Mine have finally started to send up new pitchers! I guess that means they are alive and happy!
I'm just curious about everyone else's plants.
My other sarracenia plants have also started to send up new pitchers... seems like they come in small waves every few weeks.
I'll have some photos after the weekend!
Holden

Well, mine are both still alive
biggrin.gif
!  The AL003 is sending up small (~1") pitchers still.  The AL002 has just started taking off this past week sending up a couple of 3" and a 5" pitcher.
tounge.gif

biggrin.gif
   I'll post a couple of pitcher pictures tonight.
smile.gif

My plants are doing well. AL001 has produced 3 new pitchers. AL003 is producing its 4th new pitcher.

Here's my AL003.

2003_0807_Sarr%20rubra%20AL003.jpg

As you can see it is sending up lots of small 1" to 1½" pitchers.  It is taking a little longer to recover from shipping and transplanting.

Here's my AL002.

2003_0807_Sarr%20rubra%20AL002.jpg

It's begun to send up some nice pitchers.  By this time next year it should be a very nice looking plant
biggrin.gif

Mine are doing well and each has several new pitchers too. New pitchers are perhaps twice as tall as the originals, but narrower. The plants are shaded for a few hours in the morning and the sun has been rather scarce this summer, so I assume the reduced light accounts for the skinnier pitchers. I'm seeing the same on my other Sarrs too. New pitchers on the AL001 don't have the same beautiful yellow color the original pitchers had, probably due to lower light intensities. But they have the same coppertop kind of blush as the new pitchers on BigCarnivourKid's AL002. My AL003 grows greener, slightly pubescent pitchers. Bruce

how do u guys and gals get these endangered plants?

We received these plants from one of the ICPS Conservation Projects.

More Info.

do you have to be a member to get the plants

It was limited to ICPS members in the US. They've sent out all the plants and will watch the results before deciding whether to do it again. If they do, expect it to again be limited to ICPS members.

But the point of the effort was to get a breeding stock of an endangered species into the hands of people prone to taking care of and breeding CPs. It'll lead to lots of seeds and seedlings hitting the exchange lists within a few years. The idea is to make an endangered S. alabamensis no more valuable to a collector than any other plant. That should eliminate much of the incentive for poaching. If only it was so easy to preserve habitat.
confused.gif

I'm late in posting but I just wanted to say mine are doing very well and are sending up numerous new pitchers. The bonus sundews that sprouted in the pots are doing very well too. I think Tamlins ID was correct, they are starting to look like D. burmanii "red Tenticle".

Hopefully we all get flowers and seed next year so we can spread the joy unfortunately I think you can only legaly transport the seed within your own State. I someone knows for sure please post.

I'll try and find that out for you guys. But if anyone does get any extra seed next year I'd be glad to have it.

I'll post what I find in a few days

According to the info I recieved with my plants "....You may not sell your plant or engage in barter/trade with your plant with another person in another state.  However, plants may be sent across state lines (only as a gift) and you may sell plants within your state.  These restrictions apply even to plants produced via seed or division.  Seeds from your plants may be donated to the ICPS seed bank."

For those interested in introducing them back into the wild, you are cautioned that "these plants may not be planted on federal property."

Edit 8-9-03 @ 7:15pm
Just a reminder for those of you with a memory like mine to send in the Shipping Survey post card that you recieved with your plants if you haven't done so already.

oh well then i will take any seeds for free I don't have the cash to join the ICPS it really stinks

I mean not having the cash sucks
the icps is really great

Here are my photos from this weekend. Lots of new little pitchers.

holden-b145b00548a17dad162075c3904038a75c75a341.jpg

holden-882e497c2e6df866ed377b1f1bdb001399912847.jpg

Hey Folks,

I just had an idea today, inspired by a conversation with Barry Burch on this list.

Some of you have expressed a desire that all the Sarracenia distributed by the ICPS conservation program have individual code letters assigned to them. The point for this is that all the plants in the program were seed grown, and so were genetically distinct. It would have been too much of an
additional pain for us to track this information from the sending end, but here is a solution....

Every recipient of a plant in this program is an ICPS member, so why not just append your membership number to the plant label. So if you are member #1943, and have a plant from AL001 and one from AL002, call them AL001-1943 and AL002-1943. If you don't know your ICPS member number (who does?) look at the mailing label on your most recent (or next) issue of CPN shipping envelope. The membership number is there, next to your expiry date for your membership.

Cheers

Barry

------------------------
Barry A. Rice, Ph.D.
Carnivorous Plant Newsletter
Conservation Coeditor
barry@carnivorousplants.org
http://www.carnivorousplants.org

My AL 001 has exploded in growth, when I got it, one pitcher was the height of the label, now 5 or 6 are, as for the AL003, It had a few mature-looking small pitchers upon arrival, and pretty much is producing them steadily at about 2-3". I love them, and if there is another program like this, I will definately try again, and give a big donation to the conservation fund alongside!!  
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

alien.gif
 Thanks again!!

*watches for next ICPS newsletter to get the member number and adds it to the labels*

Good idea
smile.gif
and so easy!

Every time you guys talk about your ICPS plants it makes me want them more

Just think of it this way, for just 7 cents a day, You'll be supporting cp, while benefiting such as the seed bank, information, and even a Newsweekly =D.

Back