What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pollen, seeds, and flowers

My Sarracenias have been flowering for seveal years now and my observations have been that the more times a plant flowers the more pollen it produces and the more receptive the stigma is. I'm interested because age doesn't seem to be the determining factor I would expect it to be. I have four plants I bought as seedlings S. flava, S. minor, S. rubra wherryi, And S. luecophylla. Two years ago flava and wherry flowered but I got little pollen and had no seeds from either plant. This year all four plants flowered, I got lots of pollen from flava(stored it in the fridge)and pollenated all four plants. I got lots of seed from flava and wherry but none from minor or lueco(they also didn't have any pollen) so even though they are the same age, it was the plants that flowered earlier in there life that was better at reproducing. Has any one else observed this in there plants?

The only thing I've noticed for me is that it seems the first year a plant flowers, there is a decent chance of it not producing pollen. The stigmas are still receptive and produce viable seed.

Back