What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher Plants...

Hi,
I am new to the fourms and I have been trying to grow carnivorous plants for a while, but I just cant seem to keep them alive no matter how hard I try. If any one has any tips please tell me.
Also I live on the coast of California and and I was wondering if I could keep Pitcher Plants out side. During the day the temp. is usualy (on a sunny day) about 75-85 degrees and on a foggy day 60-70* F. The humidity stays at about 60-80%. During the night during summer its about 60*, and during the winter it drops to about 40-50*f. Do you think that I could grow them out side?
Any help greatly apreciated,
Thanks
Aaron

Your temperatures are fine for growing Sarracenia outdoors. The only Sarracenia that may not like your conditions is Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea as it requires temperatures below 35° F (many times below 0°F here in Ohio) to survive during the winter.

welcome!
The coast of california is the best part of the country for growing cps. I'm guessing the main reason you are having problems growing them is that you are using tap water. use distilled/bottled/spring water, anything without minerals!
smile.gif
Thats the main reason cps die on newbies. Also, many cps go into dormancy, including sarracenia, so when they die back in the winter to their rhizomes (bulbs) it looks like htey are dead, and many people throw them out. you can keep them outside all day, in full sun, I am on the coast of california and grow almost all of my plants outside. I'm in monterey. where are you? If you are close to san fransisco you should check into going to the bay area carnivorous plant society meeting november 1st. Many people will be glad to help you out with your new hobby, and you can buy raffle tickets, almost every person wins a plant

Spectabilis73
Kewl! I live just like 15 min out of Santa Cruz, and I go to Monterey all the time for my voulenteer job at the aquarium. Do you know any good places to by carnivorous plants in the area? I was just out looking for some at OSH but didnt find any
sad.gif
. Do you have fish? just curious becasue of you name.
Thnks
Aaron

cool! I always wanted to volunteer at the aquarium, but they said i had to wait a year because i have to be at least 14...
sad.gif
santa cruz is close! only 30 minutes!!!  
biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

cool.gif
pft is a good place to buy cps, but they are not even close to us, they are in texas. pm me if you want a place that is an hour from you.

EDIT: spectabilis73 came from the carnivorous plant nepenthes spectabilis, but yes i love fish. I used to have an 18 inch red bellied pacu but he got too big for my 150 gallon tank and I had to sell it...
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ Oct. 26 2003,4:55)]use distilled/bottled/spring water,
Cmon Spec.. you know better than that. Distilled, reverse osmosis, or rain.. period. If it doesnt say one of those on the bottle, leave it on the shelf.
As mentioned, Santa Cruz should be fine for growing cps year round. I live in San Jose, and most of my plants thrive outside here.

Good luck
Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ Oct. 27 2003,12:26)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ Oct. 26 2003,4:55)]use distilled/bottled/spring water,
Cmon Spec.. you know better than that.  Distilled, reverse osmosis, or rain.. period. If it doesnt say one of those on the bottle, leave it on the shelf.
As mentioned, Santa Cruz should be fine for growing cps year round. I live in San Jose, and most of my plants thrive outside here.

Good luck
Steve
I have to disagree. as long as the ones i listed have no minerals added for taste, then it is fine to use

I belive bottled water is fine as long as the Sodium content is 0%  Spring water is shamed upon, I suppose it could be used as emergency water tho, I did use my tap water as an experiment and the plants were not affected. For nepenthes ppm should not go above 150 and for all other CP's the ppm should be ideally at 0 but can go as hgh as 10 or 20 ppms

Pft sells cps.
biggrin.gif
I wouldn't know how regular watering effects cps with bottled water, I only use distilled.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ Oct. 26 2003,4:55)]If you are close to san fransisco you should check into going to the bay area carnivorous plant society meeting november 1st. Many people will be glad to help you out with your new hobby, and you can buy raffle tickets, almost every person wins a plant
Hey Spec, Just to let you know the BACPS meeting is Nov 8th, not the 1st. Here is a copy of the e-mail notice I got from Bill Weaver:

A flyer for the BACPS meeting on November 8 has been posted on
the BACPS website (www.bacps.org).  Please feel free to download
it and post it at your local plant store or other anywhere else
where interested people will see it.

Geoff Wong
----------

Meeting:  Bay Area Carnivorous Plant Society
Date:     Saturday, November 8, 2003
Time:     Noon - 4:00
Place:    University of California Botanical Garden, Berkeley
Speaker:  Tuan Nguyen
Title:    Carnivorous Plants of Borneo and Southwestern Australia

Abstract: From the Land of Head Hunters to the Land of Convicts.
         Follow a journey into the steamy dark jungles of Borneo.
         Then experience the arid contrasts of Southwestern
         Australia.  Tuan will lead us on an exploration of the
         unique flora and fauna of these two isolated land
         masses.  See habitat shots of Nepenthes campanulata,
         N. villosa and N. northiana. Peek into the enthralling
         flowers of Amorphophallus and the giant Rafflesia.
         Marvel at pygmy Droseras, Utricularias, Cephalotus, and
         native terrestrial orchids.  This slide show will
         delight plant enthusiasts and adventure travelers alike.

Cheers
Steve

wow.... thanks for telling me that! I would have missed the meeting! I don't check the website often... danget my dad was supposed to forward any e-mails from bill he got!
mad.gif

"bottled water" can be good or bad.
I would not recommend generally for CPs though.
often "bottled water" at the store is simply bottled tap water!
nothing more..
it might actually have more minerals than your local tap water!
its too highly variable to recommend for CPs IMO.

I agree with:

Distilled
rain
Reverse Osmosis

only.

Scot

I live on a cost line as well and all my plants do great ! Sarrcenia does well in cold temps where u live is a great start on growing cp's Im me if you would like more info screen name OuTtA yUr IeAgUe:)

Back