What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

questions about S. rubra

im fairly new to CP's, i tried making a bog terrarium when i was younger but it failed. however since i have been doing reasearch on Nepenthes latly i think i know what i did wrong. anyways i saw this S. rubra along side of a couple nepenthes that i picked up, its pichers are about 3 inches tall and appear very healthy(cant say the same about the poor Venus flytraps). anyways i am in the middle of setting up a 75 gal fishtank for my new lowland nepenthes, some orchids and various other topical plants. im just making a "grow chamber" not a terrarium. i was wondering if the Rubra will do well in with these plants? i understand they need a dormant period, but other wise will they do well in the bright, warm, humid enviroment of the chamber? also how do u give them a dorment period? do u just take them out of the tank and place them in the fridge? or do u have to wean them out of the chamber first? also being as the plant is young does it have to have a dormant period this winter or are they like flaytraps and can go without the dormancy for a few years? i have searched the net with no luck, lots of info about growing them outdoors but little that answers these questions.

Sheridan S.

Alright, I think I can help you out a little.  Lot's of questions, so let's see if I can hit them all.

1)Can the Sarr be in the terrarium/growchamber?

While it is young, yes.  When the plant gets older, you might want to think about sticking it outside, especially in the spring and summer.  Sarracenia can take (and enjoy) a full day's worth of light.  You just have to work them up to it.

2)Does it need dormancy?

Nope, Lowes plants are just out of TC and do not need dormancy for at least the first year.  This should settle all your dormancy related questions.

So the consensus is.... keep it in the tank for the winter and put it outside in the spring.

SF

Where are you? If you live in the right place you don't even have to ever put it in the terr. It would free up space for a different plant. Personally I prefer growing anything I can outside of a terr. Then you can say I am growing something bizarr on my windowsill without even a terr. ** I talk to much **

im up in the northeast corner of Montana. i do not think i get enough light in the winter for these guys. and as far as something bizzare on my windowsill, i have a half dozen orchids and epiphatic cacti
tounge.gif

Sheridan S.

Cool, I visited Montana last summer. You might could grow it outdoors most of the year. Of coarse since it was the beginning of June and it snowed three days after I left, you might would want to keep an eye on it. I'd bring it in, in the winter as it can get pretty cold. As for light in the winter, that is

Back