What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deer and Pitcher Plants

hey
I was just sitting here thinking about when I am going to get some new plants, and where I would put them, and I was wondering if Deer have a taste for CPs. That would be a bummer to wake up one moring to my CP nibbled up by some deer...
Thanks
Aaron

I remember reading in the savage garden book that deer are very attracted to darlingtonia and in some places the plant it called "deer lick." I don't know if deer will bother other cps though. My guess is they might eat the tops of sarrs if they were hungry enough.

-buckeye

there was a feild in oregon with darlingtonia, and there was a rare white flowered one, some #### cows ate them though!
mad.gif

deer eat almost anything....soloution.....gun/pitbull/pepper spray on the plants....or grow everything inside.

Sarracenia produce a chemical called coniine (see Slack, 1989) which cows, and I presume other herbivores, usually do not eat. That assumes that the animals have previously tried it and tasted it. We have a big problem with deer in our area in that they eat EVERYTHING, toxic or not.

That said, they ate the tops of my flavas this past summer and but not the rest, but I have to assume that if they are hungry enough they will probably eat the others.

It really depends where you grow the plants. Deer are very timid, and they try to avoid human contact. Of coarse if I ever saw a deer eating my plants, and it is in season... well lets just say that I like deer ribs, A WHOOOLE lot.LOL Oh, and I'm very serious.
mad.gif

Texas deer are not timid at all and will calmly eat your rose bush in front of you.

a white flowered darlingtonia? is that in cultivation or is the cow stuck one the only one in existence? Zongyi

Back