What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good beginner pitcher plants

Yup, here comes this question again.

Im in the Central Valley, so keep that in mind when you are suggesting species.....something that can't take high temps and lots of sun(or that needs more than a frost for the winter)....

Thanks for the suggestions!

i believe the purpurea clad is very easy. Zongyi

"Central Valley" of where?
brazil? texas? alaska? pennsylvania? maine? china?
there are a lot of valleys in the world!
and they all have a center!
rock.gif
wink.gif

all Sarracenia can basically take the same conditions..
with the exception of S. purpurea, which is more cold-tolerant than the others.

*cant* take high temps and a lot of sun?
do you mean you *Dont* have high temps and a lot of sun where you are?

Sarracenia like lots of sun, the more the better!
and can take heat fairly well, if its only a few weeks..
what they DO need however is humidity!
so if you are in a high-sun desert environment, like Phoenix, the dry air will be a concern..

So what exactly is your climate like?
describe your seasons in terms of light, higest and lowest temps, precipitation and humidity, and we can go from there!
Scot

LMAO! Hmmm.....talk about bad grammar!

Okie...lemme get this straight.

Im in the central valley of California in zone 8. The summer temps here are 90-100 degrees. Their is always a week or two in july when it decides to hit 110 or so. Winter weather is at about 30-40 degrees-we get frosts....not so good for the orange growers around. No snow....except once in about 100 or so years if I remember right.

The summer sun here is scorching hot in the summer. The enviroment is pretty dry, with only a few rains during spring and fall.

ah! ok..central California..
well your conditions sound basically ok!
quite ideal actually..
perhaps a bit warm in the summer, but most CPs should be able to deal ok with that kind of heat, as long as you keep plenty of water in the trays..
and your winter temps are perfect for a natural dormancy outdoors! (im jealous)
so overall, I would say you are all set!

CPs do need a lot of direct sunlight..they do like to bake in the sun's rays..but with your extreme heat, I would look for someplace that gets direct sun in the morning or evening, but is sheltered from the intense mid-day sun..like under a tree..that would help with the heat problem..
give then shade during the hottest hours of mid-day..then direct sun in the cooler morning or evening hours.

so other than a few stretches of "too hot"..your conditions sound just fine!

Scot

Hi Nflytrap

Welcome to the forums and to the world of CPs.
smile.gif

You can make a little "micro bog" using a small plastic pond liner (you can get them at Lowes for about 11.99 and up). Add several inches of water into the container and sit your pots in it and you have a semblance of a little pond. The water in the container will help with the humidity. However...with high temps like that, if you don't get a lot of rain, you will need to add water fairly often. It would be fine to let the container dry out every now and then...that way the water in the container will stay fresh and not get stagnant. If my sarra "ponds" get too full of water, I drain it out and refill them. And all you need is several inches of water...doesn't need to be full to the rim.

Just a thought. Where's there's a will, there's a way. ;)

Suzanne

Hello,
It seems S. Lucophylla likes slightly higher temps than the rest of the genus. They also like alot of light. So I would consider the Luecophylla variety.
Kevin

Hmm..S. leucophylla, looks pretty cool.

Are there any species that would not work here?

Thanks!

The "mini bog" sounds pretty interesting...does that mean distilled water?

Hello,
     Yes, it is very wise to use water without high minerals, this can kill the plant. So distilled, rain, or r/o water are the ones to use. Lucky for me, I am on a well, so my water is very low in harmful minerals. S. Luecophylla is a very nice sarracenia, i have several that I keep outside all year long. Flava is another species I like alot to.
                       Kevin

S. minor is the most southerly growing species, but every one will be suitable except purp. ssp. purp.

As long as you keep 'em wet enough in the summer, any and all should do fine. If it's your first, I would recommend one of the available cultivars, such as dixie lace. They are vigorous growers and put up new pitchers pretty much constantly, compared to some of the species which are only at their prime for a few months out of the year. Plus, it's a pretty fine looking plant when mature and will fill up a pot in no time.

Thanks! You guys are so helpful!

I don't really know if Im quite interested in hybrids....though some are quite attractive.

I've noticed that some websites sell seeds. How long does it take for pitcher plants to grow to good size?

Why not order some leucos from PFT? Im sure Phil will appreciate your business and the plants will be in first class condition.
smile.gif

Steve

You could e-mail Phil and ask what all he has to sell. He has lots of plants that aren't shown on the website. He'll hook you up with some of the best. Every plant that I ever got from him has been in GREAT condition.

You mean right now is a good time to do so?

Personally I would wait until spring to buy any plants that need a dormancy. I have also never owned an American pitcher plant (I have lots of Australian pitcher though), I'm going to try growing S. Leucophylla, S. Minor, and S. Rubra (Wherryi) first in a whiskey barrel minibog. I think I start it in April.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How long does it take for pitcher plants to grow to good size??

In the first year, you can expect one to two inch immature pitchers (meaning they do not look like the adult). You won't get any mature pitchers until the third year from seed, about 8 inches (roughly, depends on species) tall. The plants will flower between the 4th and 5th growing season.

So your looking at between three to five years.

SF

Hmmm....while I'll be buying mature plants, I'll have to get soem seed to see how its like. 3 cm in one year doesn't sound that bad.....cause you can see em(unlike VFTs)

BTw, how do you get the distilled water to water these "mini bogs". I can only imagine how much water it must take.

Back