What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darn it people, Heliamphora!!!!

OK, over in Nepenthes, people are always posting pics. And there are a lot of Sarra pics. But you don't see a lot of people's Heliamphora. I aim to change that! I only have one, a H. heterodoxa x minor. I've had it a few months, and it's growing fantastically! I think I might need another Sun Pitcher! Anyway, here's the pic (the largest one just opened):
H.%20heterodoxa%20x%20minor%201.JPG

Capslock

Nice pic Capslock...  Looks like some sort of bizzare set of pipe organ pipes lol... Whats that little rosette in front of the plant?

Steve

laugh.gif
Hehe, I couldn't tell you what that thing is, Steve. I'd classify it as a weed of some sort. But I tend to leave such things in with my CPs, unless they look like they're going to get unruly.

Capslock

Could it be a cranberry plant? The rosette that is...

This is a link to a very very large photo of Sarracenia purpurea growing with cranberries.

Sarracenia and Cranberries.

It kinda looks like that, Nick! Who knows? Maybe I'll get cranberries!!
laugh.gif

Come on, folks, let's see those pics!

Capslock

Beeeautiful plant, Caps! And a big pat on the back to you for having the guts to step up to the plate for the neglected heliamphoras!
biggrin.gif

I would be embarrassed to show mine plant. It does not grow! SO...could you tell me how you are growing yours? Light, temps, substrate, etc? Mine doesn't die, but neither does it grow so obviously its not happy...and therefore, neither am I.
sad.gif

C'mon...what's your secret? I'm jealous!

If mine looks like that when it becomes mature, I'll be one happy camper!

SF

Here's a few...

H. ionasii
HionasiiAWCR.jpg

H. tatei
HtateiAWCR.jpg

H. tatei var. neblinae
I particularly like this one with the fly about to become plant food. Although it's not the best shot of a H. tatei v. neblinae pitcher.
HneblinaeAWCR.jpg

Thanks Tony! Those are some plants you don't see very often!

SF

Is it just me or does Nicks picture take forever to load? I have dsl and that pic took fully 15 minutes to load and display
rock.gif

Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If mine looks like that when it becomes mature, I'll be one happy camper!

I'll double that. Right now mine is just recovering from shock and producing small pitchers. When I get my new terrerium set up it will find a happier home.
wink.gif
tounge.gif
cool.gif
laugh.gif
blues.gif

PlantAKiss,

My Helio lives with my N. ampularia in a small terrarium. The whole thing sits about 2.5 feet below and 2 feet to the side of a 400W MH grow light. The terrarium itself is partly ventilated with a vaulted glass top. My plant is in the original soil it came with, which appear to be a majority of lfs but might have some other things in it like orchid bark, pumice, pearlite, or what have you, but there's mostly lfs.

The temperatures range from about 58-60 overnight and about 75-82 daytime depending on the outside weather. Both plants are very happy in there, and I'd guess the humidity approaches 100% at night judging by the condensation on the glass, which dries when the light is on. Incidentally, this plant is a fantastic catcher of fungus gnats!

Great pics Tony! I look forward to trying some different varieties of Heliamphora!
smile.gif

Capslock

Wow everyone's pics are so beautiful! Thanks for posting them.
smile.gif

-buckeye

the one i got from tony looks just like yours capslock- but it is has a different name, they are neat plants almost look like they are plastic.

Nice looking heliamphora! the sun pitcher's are my fav out of all cp's i live on a cost line by the beach and i have heliamphora growing out-door's and they do great!
smile.gif

Thanks Bob. You lists of photos are a fantastic CP reference, ones that I consult regularly. Thanks for doing that.

Max

Hello,
Here's my pic of the only Heliamphora that I own; the heterodoxa x minor.
heliamphora.jpg

Well dang it. Mine is in very similar conditions to yours but it does not grow.
sad.gif
Maybe its the MH lights that make a difference? I'm thinking of moving it down to the basement where it will be cooler. Maybe that will help. Thanks for the info.
smile.gif

Back