What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S.purpurea ssp venosa seed planting

Do S.purpurea ssp venosa seed need a dormant period before planting?or can they be planted now and grow indoors this winter(under lights)?

Thanks,Jerry

All Sarr seeds need stratification before planting. Wrap them in a damp paper towel, seal in a zip lock and put them in the fridge for 4-6 weeks, then sow them on media of your choice. You can do this now and start them under growlights to get a head start on spring.

Good luck
Steve

If I may suggest, leave them in there longer rather than shorter. I had only two of twenty seeds sprout after four weeks stratification and 19/20 when I left them in for 6 weeks. Coincidence? Maybe, though I think not!

SF

Here is a link to a web page I designed on growing sarracenias from seed. This is based on my experience.  I have had great sucess using this method. Sorry for there being no photos. Something happened and I have not gone in to fix it.

Good GrowingGrowing Sarracenias

I use a happy medium - 5 weeks stratification
biggrin.gif

I gave my s.rubra ssp. gulfensi 3 weeks:cool:

When is the best time for sowing the seed?

Back