What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok after making several trips to various lowes to try and develop a decent collection of sundews, I also recieved a bunch of Cobra Lillies. (it was apart of one of those botannical wonders box terraium dealies) However I really don't have the room for these in my ten gallon terrarium. So what I decided to do after repotting them was I filled this big green bowl up with sphagnum peat and buried the pots up to the plants. I then got this little 50 gallon preformed pond that we have had lying around and flipped it over and set it outside on the top shelf. If they die it isn't that big of a loss for me as I kept my best one indoors. The weather here in New carlisle, Ohio has been rainy and in the mid 50s. I am hoping the little pond will fill up with rainwater and the plants will stay watered. The temperature difference shouldn't be that bad seeing as it was only about 15* cooler outside than in my house. The real test will come next week when the temperature drops down into the 20's though. However I have read that Darlingtonia can surive freezing temperatures and being buried under the snow so i think it should be alright. The only thing I am really worried about is the shock the plant will go through from being moved from indoors to outdoors so quickly. like i said though if they die then I can live without them seeing as i don't have the space for now.

I don't think you should move put them out in the cold that quickly, especially since Ohio could have single digits temps. in next few days. Do you have a cool windowsill you could put them on while they adjust to the cooler temps gradually? After they start to turn brown from dormancy you could put them back outside. I would recommend digging holes in the ground as deep as the pot and then putting the pot in the hole. Then you could mulch over the tops of the plants with pine needles, leaves or straw. Just a suggestion.

-buckeye

Back