What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora minor

I wanted to show off my Heliamphora minor which has kindly elected not to die, but continues to live up to it's name: the pitchers are quite small. I would love to see other photographic examples, and am very interested in how to entice larger pitchers on my plants.

I remember buying one of the first TC releases of this species back in the early '70's. It cost me $55.00 back then, and I had to sweat the rent to purchase it as the price was more than half my weekly wage. Before that time, the plant was a myth and a legend substantiated only by out of focus black and white photos in Graff's "Exotica".

Heliamphora_minor_010604_1.sized.jpg

Hey Tamlin,

I got a tip recently that a very dilute solution of Superthrive, orchid fertiliser, and water applied directly inside the pitcher can help growth. I have tried this on a tiny heterodoxa x minor for the past month. So far I'm getting more pitchers growing, but because the plant is only 1" tall it's hard to say if this is natural or the solution. If you have an extra clump to test on, please do so and let us know the results!

Nice plant dude im getting my pics ready rite now one of my older heliamphor's is flowering. Well good luck
smile.gif
E.C

Thanks Michelle, I will have to try that. I feel that the plant grows well and it is probably a nutritional issue.

my guess is the plant is spending more energy focusing on photosynthesis rather then pitcher size , probably reduce the amount of lights tamlin and thats a very nice plant too , good job .
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (goldtrap2690 @ Jan. 10 2004,04:45)]my guess is the plant is spending more energy focusing on photosynthesis rather then pitcher size , probably reduce the amount of lights tamlin and thats a very nice plant too , good job .
smile.gif
...photosynthesis produces energy!! the more it photosynthesises, the more energy it produces. you therefore need more light for vigorous growth. some plants will however produce bigger leaves at lower light levels to 'trap' more light, but this can make them thinner & weaker, so more susceptible to disease. I would go for high light levels & compact but robust plants.

what size are the pitchers, maybe they are at maximum size already.

I agree with goldtrap in that lower light levels will produce larger pitches,
lower light will cause the actual cells to grow more lineal in shape and thus produce an overall lager growth.

Not in Heliamphora. Mine did horribly indoors under flourescents. When it was moved to the greenhouse (before it froze) it did great.

Heliamphora does very well under flourescent lights Nepenthes Gracilis.Just putting the plant under lights in the open is asking for troble Heliamphora like's to stay at the same temps so a cold chamber is a good idea. I hope you have fan's and cooler's in yur green house other wise it wont do so great in the summer. good luck everyone!! E.C

EC, it was in a terrarium with highland Nepenthes, problem was it was not bright enough. I am confident in that due to the fact no nectar spoons developed fully or even developed at all if I was lucky.

My greenhouse is perfectly well equipped to handle the summer temps, I have ciruclation fans, a 3 foot diameter exahust fan with a CFM of 11,250 and an evaporative cooler, and misting system, plus a 60% shade cloth.

More of a light issue with my past plants than anything else. I fine temperatures aren't really an issue as long as no extremes are reached which is where you are saying they like to stay pretty much the same with cooler temps at night.

Well thats good to here that yur green house i working out for yur Heli's i have never had a problem with the tank style set-up I use E.G plant lights they work awesome for nice red spoon's and add alot of color to the plant as well but if u say yur plant is doing well in yur green house then that awesome you must live where it's alot cooler. E.c

N.gracilis do u have a photo of yur H. Heterodoxa? i would love to see how its forming for you
smile.gif

Hi, yeah it's cold out here right now, bout -5F so the ghouse is pretty darned cool at night. Here's a pic of the plant:

hhetero2.sized.jpg

Click the Link Goldtrap at the bottom it take's u to my website im working on N.gracilis I really like yur heli's :-D

Goldtrap,

The problem in seeing EC's pictures is because Geocites seems to not allow direct links to jpg pages. If you copy the image location and paste it in your browser address window, then it works. Then, once you have that URL in your browser cache, the image will appear in the PFT thread until your cache is cleared. Apparently Geocities allows you to link to html pages but not jpg. It is frustrating!

Nice pics! Nep grac what are the seed pods in your pot?
rock.gif

Back