What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Happy Cobra

Well, it seems to be working! My reptile waterfall water dish methoid has made my cobra lilly happy. The goal of course was to recreate the conditions of being along a mountain stream edge. Not only has it not gotten worst, it's actually sending up new growth!
biggrin.gif
I hope it continues to work for it long term... looks classy too ;)

Great!!
biggrin.gif

Happy to hear that a Cobra is happy. Just wondering what are you going to do for dormancy, fridge?

Depends on what I learn from here on out. But if I need too I have a cellar with outlets so I could set up a breif photoperiod and leave the water running down there in the winter.

Do you have pictures? I need to revive my Cobra's as they are looking a little droopy

cobra.gif

Sure.  It's a bit nicer looking now with two new shoots sent up but this gives you the idea of the set up
smile.gif
It's also re-rited it's leaves so they are all strait again
smile.gif
The fountain is great ina terrarium and has upped the humidity so much that my other plants have just taken off in growth, proticularly my N. Sanguniea which has never liked the lower humidities of winter.

That's a good idea! If I ever run across one of those, I am going to get it!

SF

Question for Darcie....are you growing under lights or in a window? What temp is your house? Where did you get that cool waterfall?

Question for all....I live in Texas and intend to grow my Cobra(who I just rescued today) as a houseplant.....however in the heat of summer hy home usually is at about 75-80 degrees day AND night......what are my chances realilistically of keeping this plant alive more than 3 months?

Note-to those with a larger budget than I, an aquarium chiller could be placed in the waterfall to keep it cool.....

That's an innovative way of recreating their antural environment! I've got a couple of creative ideas for my unsuspecting cobra lily this summer. Whaddya think of placing the pot partially through a styrofoam cover and floating it stationary in a flowing stream? The other idea is based upon someone saying that the water that comes from an AC unit is pretty pure, with no salts. The approach is to simply place the plant in direct path of the flow of this water all summer long, keeping its roots cool. Fire away!

Jim, the AC runoff should be OK as long as you keep the drip tray and other surfaces that come in contact with the condensation clean. They can be moldy and slimy.

smile.gif

BCK

Back