What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
I am thinking of maybe getting a Ceph. Are they easy? Can you post some growing instructions?

cephs like cool nights in the summer, and don't need dormancy. They like big pots, non-waterlogged soil, generally high humidity, and a mix with a lot of perlite and/or sand and some peat. I don't have one but I'm getting one soon (like tomorrow) lots of sun= red pitchers shade=green, large

Cephs aren't the easiest of CPs, but they're not the most difficult, either. Something I have noticed is that they don't like to be moved around a lot - as in keeping a pot on one side of the window then moving it two feet over the next day. Mine slowed their growth everytime I rearranged the windowsill. I think it has something to do with the lighting change, they just like to sit in their favorite spot.

In general, just keep an eye on it. I'm looking forward to some your new ceph pics!

don't have one yet, probably this spring, and when I can make room.LOL

Ok, so I didnt get a ceph. the order was messed up
sad.gif
but its fun to get 2 orders.
biggrin.gif
Are you going to get a 'Hummers Giant' or regular form?

dunno yet, I am still looking. I might look for a trade on the trading post.

I would get the typical form first. This way you can get use to the growing conditions required of Cephalotus. Many of the Giant forms are hard to come by and cost 2-3 times more than the typical forms.

I recommend starting with the typical form and then once you have grown it successfully, get one of the Giant forms.

I am currently growing the typical and a German Giant Clone. Both were almost lost a few weeks after I got them and they have been babied every since. My plants grow best when kept in high humidity and under 4 flourescent bulbs. I will take some photos later of what they looked like about the time I got them and what they look like now. My typical form died down to a single leaf at one point and after several months of doing nothing, it has produced some winter leaves and a couple pitchers.

Oh... I hope I can do this...

I'm gonna just put mine outside. It shouldn't go dormant since I'm in southern California.

I wish they didn't cost so much. I have tons of room for plants now and they are so cool looking.

I bought one in late summer last year. I'm growing it in a terrarium. When I first received the plant it was small and had 2 pitchers on it. The pitchers lasted about 3 days when I got it.
It has adjusted to my conditions and has doubled in size. It has about 4 pitchers on it now, and several fuzzball ready to inflate into pitchers. I have taken a few leaf cuttings which I hope will reward my with more plants. I would like to try growing them in different locations to see how they do.

Aside from the sudden recovery, your storey sounds like my Ping right now, lol.

I've found Ceph's quite easy to grow. generally I keep them in a greenhouse during the warm months but bring them indoors when the temperature drops. I have a 6"pot which needs re-potting in spring so I may try growing one outside in the garden as well as keeping them in the greenhouse.

I use a 50/50 peat sand mix and in spring/summer I keep my ceph's sitting in water and Autumn/Winter I water them about Once every week or two.

Back