What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutting Pitchers for Dormancy?

Cynic81

Frakkin Toaster
I'd rather avoid it if I can, but should I cut off bug-filled pitchers in preparation for a fridge dormancy? The plants in question are three Leucos (I've already emptied the purpureas as best I can).

I would recommend it, just because since there is no light in a fridge, it wouldn't do any good to keep the leaves on. Also, a bug-filled pitcher in the dark sounds like a beacon to fungi and bacteria.

definately cut them off!
no reason to keep them at all..
it will just grow new pitchers in the spring..

where have they been growing up to now?
mid-january is a very odd time to put them in the fridge..
they need a month or of gradualy cooling temps (like outdoors in october) so they can go dormant naturally..THEN they can go into to fridge when they are already "asleep"..
if they have been actively growing indoors up until now, popping them into the fridge instantly with no preparation would be very bad for them..
scot

Don't worry, I've been keeping them outside during the day and in teh garage at night to cool them off, and I'd been shortening their photoperiod since mid-october. I would've put them in sooner, but I had no way to cool them off in the dorms and I visited family in New Hampshire for thanksgiving, so this was the soonest I could do it. Hopefully next year I'll be able to put them in sooner.

I've already put them all in plastic bags, after giving them all a through spraying with some neem and wrapping the roots in damp paper towels (soaked with distilled, of course). I'll be keeping them in my fridge in my dorm room so I can keep an eye on them.

Back