What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

s. leucophllya

Ok, transplanted a s. leucophllya today and divided it at the same time. I am wondering, can you take a root cutting from a smaller root, NOT on the rhizome? One of the roots that looks all wirey and whatnot. The plant I divided and transplanted was about 15" tall dormant. I went from a one gallon container (where it was visibly potbound) to a three gallon container. Is this too big of a pot?? I put the divided portion of the plant in a one gallon pot. Here is another question...I got a gaggle of s. leucophylla (4ish) planted with about ten s. psittacina and ten or so s. purpea. All of these plants are large. The sar. leucophylla are (I measured) 32" tall. What size pot should I use for these as I am sure they are pot bound in this five gallon container. They are also planted along the edge of the pot. thanks...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I went from a one gallon container (where it was visibly potbound) to a three gallon container. Is this too big of a pot??
I do not believe that you can ever get too large a pot. The larger the pot, the more uniform the growing conditions (moderates temperature and moisture). I have grown Sarracenia in 8-inch pots where the plants occupied so much space that they literally split the pot. I have not noticed that pot-bound plants are particularly adversely affected by the crowding.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I got a gaggle of s. leucophylla (4ish) planted with about ten s. psittacina and ten or so s. purpea.
The only problem you might have is that the taller plants may eventually shade out the shorter plants. I have a bunch of Sarracenia planted in an outdoor artificial bog. The psittacina eventually disappeared under the other, more aggressive, species/cultivars.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I am wondering, can you take a root cutting from a smaller root, NOT on the rhizome? One of the roots that looks all wirey and whatnot.
Good question. I have never attempted to regenerate Sarracenia from the small wirey roots. I usually have way to many rhizome pieces to deal with that I have never bothered to experiment.

bobz-I don't know that I have enough rhizome to split and being a relative newbie, I don't want to try it. I think I might on some of my larger plants, but this is my first attempt at it. Thanks for the advice and all...

Back