What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora division

Hello everyone,

I finally got the nerve to transplant and make 2 cuttings from my H. heterodoxa x minor.  That was 2 weeks ago, and they all seem to be doing well so far.  They were minor cuttings, maybe consisting 10% of the parent plant.  All were planted into equal parts rinsed LFS, perlite, and pumice (some lava rock included).  It took steady hands, as a rinsed all the old soil from the roots with distilled water.   Now I have a decision to make:  should I fertilize the plants or not?  I ask this because in The Savage Garden, D'amato states a light mist of fertilizer should be applied 2 weeks later.  I have some Schultz Orchid Food 19-31-17 handy.  He states Orchid fertilizer is OK.  What is your experience with this?

Here's the little guy 2 weeks after being separated from the parent plant.

cutting.jpg

Homer  
wink.gif

Looks good homer- If you just repot these plants i wouldnt fertilize them just Yet since the plants are new to the soil mix as well the pots wait about 3 weeks and use Orchid 30 10 10 this works very well on Heliamphora's DYNA-GRO liquid Grow nutrient solution is excellent too! Do over head watering so you dont rot their young roots. Good luck they look great!!
biggrin.gif

:::: EC ::::

I agree with Drew. Be cautious tho. Heliamphora have a reputation for easy burning from fertilizer. I have introduced a single pellet of osmocote into some pitchers and am awaiting results of this.

You may wanna try a product called Superthrive as well , i here it works well .

goldtrap,

I forgot to tell you all that I did soak the plants in Superthrive during the transplanting process for 15 minutes.

-Homer

Homer- thats fine using Superthrive when repotting Heliamphoras is good keeps the plants from going into shock. Just dont fertilize them yet i would wait.
biggrin.gif

::: EC :::

OK, I'll wait.
smile.gif

-Homer

Homer- can you upload the pic of the heliaphora. heterodoxa x minor you just repotted the older plant
smile.gif
Ec

E.C.,

OK, I'll upload a pic tomorrow morning. As for the parent H. heterodoxa x minor, it was sliced into to produce the cuttings, yes, but still is 90% intact.

-Homer

Here's 2 pictures I just took this morning.  You can even see new growth since the transplant.

hhxm1.jpg

hhxm2.jpg

-Homer

Very nice Homer , hope mines will look like that .
smile.gif

Back