What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outdoor Sarracenia growing

Hello all,
I am wanting to start a medium collection of Sarracenia, probably with around 8-10 plants. Of course, The summer can be a bit dry down here in Texas, so I figured I would need something more than just plants in pots. Unfortunately, I can't have an in the ground bog due to the use of sprinklers here, but I can put a small 4-tier greenhouse or a minibog on the patio, as long as they don't use too much space... I know that some people here use different methods to keep the mini greenhouses cool, or the mini-bogs humid. I only have experiance with Sarrs in a grow room, due to the dry, hot parts of the year. I am pretty open to any other suggestions that might be fitting of the criteria. THANKS!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif
cool.gif

In Dallas, I think the only concern you should have would be keeping them wet enough during the summer. You should have no problems in the winter. To keep them wet enough, you will have to have them in some kind of standing water. You could use individual pots and have them sit in deep saucers. I know Home Depot has large clear saucers that are a few inches deep and only cost like a buck a piece. Those would work well. You'll just have to monitor the water levels. I know Wal-Mart, at least last year, carried larger pots of varying sizes that had a built-in water reservoir. I think they had some rather large ones that would work well for Sarracenia. I have several that I got last year, they are about 14"x14"x14". They easily hold 9 small plants, maybe 4-5 larger ones. I think there's even larger ones than that too. Cost was 5-10 dollars.

Ok, thanks! I assume that I should use a mini-greenhouse? The humidity can get into the 20s on some days... THANKS!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif
cool.gif

As long as they're in standing water, the micro-climate around the plants should be humid enough.

You really think so? I am always an over-protective plant person, but I might try that out! Thanks for that suggestion, I'll keep working on it until I find a final plan, but so far, so good!

Heya, I don't know if you'll read this, but, how are your Sarracenia growing? I recently purchased a few and have them outside on the patio (I'm living in Central Texas).

Back