What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The S. x catesbaei from pft

For those of you who brought the sarracenia hybrid S. purpurea x flava S. x catesbaei from pft , I'd just like you to know that the S. purpurea parent in this hybrid from pft is S. purpurea ssp. purpurea var. heterophylla , its an all green northern form of the purple pitcher plant , so thats why this hybrid is not so red but its quite very vigorous and hardy due to the parentage . I know this because when they sold the plant here they said that on the info page but still not many people labeled the parent plant correctly , just wanted to point that out . Heres a pic of mine from last year :
s_x_catesbaei_pitcher.jpg

Hi goldtrap, how can you be so sure it is S. purpurea purpurea var. heterophylla? It can be the typical green and purple veined form of purpurea. I belive it also depends on the flava parent also. I have an S. x catesbaie with the parentage of S. flava var. ornata so perhaps that is a contributing factor for the reddish color the pitchers attain.

Back