What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many pitchers?

Around how many pitchers does one Sarracenia Leucophylla seed form as it grows?
I just got twelve seeds and am wondering if I can fit them in an aquarium which I am using as a terrarium.

Hello. From what I've read most upright sarrs grow several 1-2" tall pitchers their first year. Each season after that they get progressively taller and have more pitchers. I believe it takes around 5 years for them to reach maturity. Leucophylla can have pitchers that reach up to 36". So they will not be able to fit in the terrarium forever. But for the first few years I think all 12 will fit just fine.

-buckeye

Do think they will still fit if I have a 25 gallon aquarium with two venus flytraps and around 30 drosera aliciae?

Aliciae can easily overgrow young sarracenia seedlings. May be the wrong candidates for the position. Aliciae are prolific seeders, too, and can decimate a stand of young sarracenia. I'd advize against it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do think they will still fit if I have a 25 gallon aquarium with two venus flytraps and around 30 drosera aliciae?

What kind of set up do you have in your terrarium?? Are the plants in pots or do you have them planted in soil in the bottom of the tank, like in a typical terrarium. If they're in pots then i think you'd be alright, but if they're all together in the bottom then i would agree with bugweed that you shouldn't do it.

-buckeye

What if the pitcher plants are in pots buried in the dirt while the others are actually growing in the dirt. That way the other seedlings couldn't overgrow it.

Also don't forget that the sarracenias (and VFT's) will have to be removed from the tank for dormancy (since it doesn't sound like all the plants in your tank need it) on the second year of their growth. The idea of keeping them in their own pots is a good one.

I had a seed-grown S. leucophylla hit almost 1 ft. at 18 mo, grown without a dormancy during that time. That, of course, was an autumn pitcher. I gave the plant to a co-worker and I hope he followed my directions for keeping it dormant this winter.

If I keep the pitcher plant in a really small pot the root system will be small right? If that happens will it render the plants growth to be small it's whole life?

actually that makes pitchers bigger...
tounge.gif

Also keep in mind that as the Sarrs grow, you will have to move the lights higher and higher and that will mean less light is reaching the dews and the light loving VFTs...

Steve

OK, so how do I make them stay small? Is it possible to make them stay the size of S. purpurea?

Back