What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceph fever continues.......

Dear all:

This is a large ceph clone. Notice that the plant has been grown in small containers. The theory behind it is that if you grow a plant in a small containers, the roots get cramped up that the pitcher size increases. Myth or Reality!.

Anyway, you'll be the judge of that. The pitchers are roughly 1 3/4 inches. I forgot to put a ruler sorry.

bigceph.jpg

Nice picture ;>

I am going to say Myth on the root bound theory. I do think that depth of pot is important however to accomidate the long thick 'tap root'.
Tony

I agree with the tall pot idea.  My Cephs do better in narrow, deep pots than in wide, shallow pots.  I think that's also why Cephs often do poorly when grown in a pan of water.  That high water table restricts the roots.

By the way, if I saw that photo in another CP forum, I'd think it shows mastery of Photoshop rather than Ceph cultivation.  But that wouldn't happen here
smile.gif

You mean you doubt that's a real photo!. Do you want to see another one?. Please let me know. Don't forget that if anybody wants to alter a photo they'll go for pitcher size!, which in my case, it is the real size.

Gus

I would like to see another photo of this plant i dont doubt you i work with photo shop alot and faking a photo such as this would be pretty hard.

:: Electric Carnivores ::

I think what can be deceiving is there is no way to tell one.. how big the finger is and two if it's placement to the pitcher. Not that it matters because Gus did say the pitcher was approximately 1 3/4" inches.

BTW EC.. that yellow print is nearly impossible to read

Tony

I think it's a real pic , cephalotus pitcher averages to 2 inches when grown well and that plant has been grown very well from the pic and i've seen bigger pitchers before .
smile.gif

I didn't mean to distract this thread from what a nice plant it is. I confess that I thought it was Photoshop when I first saw it. But it's obviously a well grown plant. I prefer them green and keep mine that way, but there's something to be said for such a deep red. And, if I saw it at another forum, I would think Photoshop.

Well, well, well, for the skeptics

bigceph3.jpg

The reason why i did not use a ruler the first time around is because i did not think size was an issue. After all, this particular plant is not a giant form, but it is a well grown ceph, i can bet you it is. I used my fingers to give you an idea on how big it was. My mistake was to assume you all knew how big my finger was. Regarding the deep red colour, well i grow them in all the possible kinds of conditions i can think of.

By the way, the plant was broken up into 4, so this is part of what you saw the first time. A plant like that is worthwhile to propagate as much as one can!
I'll show you a nice green big ceph soon

Gus

Nice plant Gus! And I thought your finger looked just fine.
smile.gif

Does anyone ever get Ceph pitchers that never open? I'd like to throw in a few fruitflies!

Other than the 3 pitchers that have never opened (after months), the plant is growing really well, with several 1/2 inch to 1 inch tall pitchers. It's growing in a very humid terrarium, positioned about 5 inches from the fluorescent lights (on 17 hours/day) and the pitchers get a nice purplish red color.

If they refuse to open, I just might have to sacrifice them to propagation.....

WildBill

Hi Bill:

Do the pitchers that never open are smaller than half inch or as long as 1 inch?

Gus

Hi Gus -

They are larger than 1/2 inch, and on different growth points! All the traps smaller than 1/2 inch opened just fine.

I wonder if it's too wet, or maybe not wet enough? I water from the top, around the perimeter of the 5 inch pot ( it drains freely & does not stand in water).

WildBill

I have seen intermediate forms of pitchers (those which look like pitchers, but are not completely formed as such) I do believe these forms of leaves will never become pitchers, thus, they will never open.

As long as you have other pitchers opening, i don't think you should worry about it too much. On the other hand, if your plant only has pitchers that never open, then i don't have the faintest idea!

Gus

Hi all:

I would like to share these pictures for those who love green cephs!. These photos are not altered in any way. This particular plant is from my personal collection.

C.%20follicularis1.jpg

c.follicularis2.jpg

Wow! great color. What form is this one?

Hi all:

When the ancestor of this particular plant was found in the wild many moons ago, it was thought to be a "giant form". According to the naturalist, it was found at Mt. Barker not far away from Albany, W.A. It gives robust and large size pitchers but not necessarily giant pitchers. So its giant status remains to be confirmed. It gives pitchers up to 1 4/5 inches long. I just call it Mt. Barker clone.

Gus

myth, the ones at the Meijer gardens are that big and they have a huge pot in conparison to the actual area they live in.  Their plant is an official "giant" varent however.

On a side note, stop mocking me with pictures of your wonderfull plants everyone! LOL, I haven't gotten one yet and I want one sooooooo bad I can't stand it. ;)

Back