What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

just got one

ok I'm new at this and i have read the care thing so calm down but i would like any tips or tricks that you have found and also please tell me about the ones that some people think work but dont just so i dont try them please

Keep it simple. Give it lots of light, and use distilled water.

New growers often over-manage their plants, repotting, changing conditions, etc. These plants aren't that hard to grow, and often the best thing is to set up the best conditions you can, and leave it alone!

What kind of plant did you get?

Capslock

Hi Kyle -

Congratulations. Here's a tip - my best looking Sarracenia grow in 100% Long Fibered Sphagnum moss, in gallon sized and half gallon sized pots.

WildBill

Tip 2:  Keep away from cats.  My cat loves to chomp my sars every opportunity he gets.  
mad.gif

Tip 3: Keep the squirrels away! They tear up my sarracenia pots something awful.
mad.gif
Otherwise...sun, lots of pure water and well-draining substrate should do the trick.
smile.gif

Let us know what you have. If you're not sure, take a photo and post it in the "Name that Plant" forum for an I.D.

Tip 4: keep it away from deer. They eat everything you don't want them to eat, and don't eat what you want them to eat. Same for racoons.

Back