What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

going ladyBUGGY

Oh thats a horrid topic title, I'm sorry.... so yah, spring break I spent my time avoiding the swarms of lady bird beetles that awoke from hybrenation in the walls. It's never as bad in the spring as it is in the fall, but it came close this year. The interesting part however, is the feast they gave my plants. Now I honestly have no idea what possesses a carniviours insect to enter traps, but these things did in droves. It's so funny to look at my sarr with their early leaf/trap things wedged full of lady bugs so they look just like giant peapods, lol! Has anyone else found ladybugs to be easy victums of their plants or are the ones in my house just extra stupid?

Yeah they are all over the place here in mo to and my flytraps catch lots of them but they seem to kill the traps,maybe its that pink liquid they produce?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ Mar. 11 2004,15:42)]Yeah they are all over the place here in mo to and my flytraps catch lots of them but they seem to kill the traps,maybe its that pink liquid they produce?
that would be their blood, and yah it is a toxin, hence the bright red shell with black spots and the horrid smell of their blood/body fluids. They kill my VFT traps too, but thankfully only one has been actually captured by my vfts, all the rest are in my northern and tropical pitcher plants who are better equiped for big meatly toxic things.

Yeah Ladybugs are easy prey. My plants were eating them up. I have found that in my young Nepenthes they fall in my pitcher and I guess they are too big because the trap starts to rot.

Also have any of you noticed when you look at a Ladybug in the pitcher fluid the wings and wing covers (I am sure that isn't the technical name, but what the hey
wink.gif
) are sprawled out?

wow i can't wait to see my plants eat em all up. I live in a dorm but i always get lady bugs in my room. But my plants aren't big enough yet!!

I trew one into the "Killing Fields" (my terrarium ring of death). and it crawled over the drosera's and it's shell started to disolve and get deformed...wow does that digestive enzimes work fast! Have yet to feed one to my Nepenthis tho...

Hmm I have fed one or two to my venus flytraps but most of the others go to my S. Purpurea. I hope they don't harm them too much...

Back