What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make the deer

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
Okay guys,
I know nothing about Sarr's. Here it goes; A friend who not really collects CP's just whatever's hardy in his area and he has some Sarr's and the deer will not leave them alone. So, he asked me but I haven't a clue. What should I tell him? He also has some Sundews that get eatin as well. How do you make them stop? I don't have deer in my area so I've never had deer eat anything, so I really have no idea.

Thanks
Joe

well, you could take a few courses here. Move the plants, if he can, use a bb gun to discourage them, or if strike one and two doesn't work, use what I do when they use up their three strikes in my garden, a good old 100 gr .243 slug...good eating all around.

I think there's something called a deer scare that you can build out of bamboo and wood. You hook it up like a fountain and it makes a loud knocking sound that will keep the critters at bay. I'm not sure about the specifics, though, but it shouldn't be too hard to find info.

a radio helps keep them at bay, a motion dector triggered impact sprinkler has worked, Liquid Fence, (a nasty smelling concoction) a 12' high der fence around the entire property or a GUN.

good luck

[b said:
Quote[/b] (goldtrap2690 @ Mar. 28 2004,5:02)]Fox urine ?
And how would you go about collecting that?
wink.gif
tounge.gif
wow.gif
laugh.gif

Cynic,
after a few days the deer realise it means no harm, just like sparrows learn those fake owls wont do anything to them after a week. the banging sound would also be annoying to neighbors, and they might complain

You could try dog urine. They're a close relative to wolves, and it's been proven that deer will react to stimuli of a non-existant predator. They put up reflective circles near highways in england to keep deer off of the roads. When headlights hit them it looks like a wolf's eyes and the deer run for cover even though there haven't been any wolves in England for about 400 years.

Here is what I have done. I built a light frame around all my plants. It is strurdy, but not heavy, so it can be moved around if I want to. I have covered the frame with good old fashioned bird netting stretched tight, and have not had a single problem with the deer, racoons, oppossums, squirrels or anything else. I even watched a full grown hawk swoop down to get a look see at what it saw as a possible watering hole, hit the netting and bounce back 10 feet, none the worse for wear, and unsure of what just happened to him. Hawks are not light weight critters, and to see that with my own eyes, made me realise that this was the best method I have come up with yet to protect my plants. Anyone growing outdoors can use this method, and the only thing you have to worry about is your own ability to construct the frame. Good luck, and leave the deer alone if you really don't have to kill it.

A friend of mine simply lays galvanized rabbit fencing on the ground around her vegtable and pepper garden . She places two or three inch logs under it to keep it slightly off the ground. The deers feet only have to get tangled up in it one time and they won't return. It keeps the rabbits out and even her dog won't go near her plants.
She does the same around her weeping willows to protect them from beavers. Yep, beavers are a problem in Smith Mountain Lake Virginia. They can destroy a thousand dollars of newly planted trees overnight.

fox urine is used as a cover scent for hunters, it won't keep deer at bay, and neither will dog urine. I have three german shepherds, and I have numerous deer come through our yard. Fox urine you can pick up at a wal mart or sporting store. It just won't work though. There is some stuff at wal mart that is like a tape fence that repels deer that people use to keep their food plots safe until the plants are ready for grazing. you dip the tape in a liquid and string it from post to post, lasts for a month I believe

a can of diesel fuel should do the trick or some garden markets sell deer repellent it comes in a power - never tried it though

Only problem is, any plants that fuel toutches dies.
sad.gif
and if even just a drop or two got in a bog garden, it could do alot of damage
wow.gif

Leave it in the can you don't have to dump it out - but yes you have to be careful - I have deer all over the place at my house - I even feed them corn on an automatic feeder to try and keep them away from my plants

that's dandy, make the deer more dependent on humans, brilliant!!!!!!!!

I hunt them also that helps keep them off my plants

ok...that's better...I don't feed them, but love to hunt them.

Shoot them
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

mmmmmm.....venison......mmmmmm My father in law makes a SCRUMPTIOUS venison stew.

Back