What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My now-recovered-from-nine-months-of-scale minors

FlytrapGurl

apple rings.. what more can i say?
This is just super. My minors, all in the same pot, finally recovering from nine months of scale and TOTALLY suspended animation, are finally growing again, as I've announced along with other CP-related stuff in General Discussions. Others told me to give up on them long ago when they quit growing, dieing or doing anything at all, but I didn't give up and they started growing a week ago, after nine lonnng months of one-foot-tall nothing, nothing and more nothing. And so now it's got new pitchers popping up all over the place, but as soom as they erupt from the ground, they start twisting and curling at the top. One came out so wacky that I thought it was a flower stalk. It's even weirder now; it's curled nice and neat at the top about two times, making the top of it look like a spring of some sort. The others aren't as severe, but they're getting there. The only one that actually came up looking normal and not mentally challenged (ROTFLOL), I accidentally snapped while slashing through the pounds of old, fossilized-scale-covered leaves. *kicks herself*

Anyhoo, what the livin' heck are these thangs trying to tell me? Kinda worries about these babies..

Any and all help appreciated in advance.

Greetings,
FTG, a.k.a. lovesick Kenny-Chesney-lunatic

I'd just give it some time and let it recover. It took my grab bag Sarrs about 6 months to start throwing out some decent pitchers.

SF

'K... thanx, SF... I was wondering if it was that or something in the soil (haven't repotted it since I got it)... but I got it from North Carolina Botanical Gardens, so that's unlikely.. they're not stupid ^_^

Thankies!!

What kind? I have Pyrethrin, which is what I killed the scale on it with last year..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ April 17 2004,3:02)]What kind? I have Pyrethrin, which is what I killed the scale on it with last year..
Never heard of that one... Try sevin-5

If they don`t have scale now then spraying will do no good,just let them recover.
Best of luck,
pond-boy.

Little Specky, Pyrethrin is the only one I could find, and trust me, I looked everywhere for miles around. It's pretty safe and it's organic and worked pretty well before.. thing is, I need to get another spray bottle to use for the pyrethrin..

Pondboy, you would've been right when I first posted this topic, but now I think spraying it is the better choice.. I just noticed this... hole in a pitcher. The tallest pitcher had a little tiny hole forming on the edge, right below where the tip of the pitcher was curling in. It got bigger by the day, and when I pulled the top of the pitcher away just a little, very gently, to look at the hole, the whole top of the pitcher snapped O_O These pitchers are SERIOUSLY tender, and that is NOT normal for this plant at all. And also, a smaller pitcher had this single little black bug on it, and I pulled it off, but right where the bug was, there a patch of discolored (kind of orange-pinkish..), mottled, disturbed surface.. it's not exactly ruffled or puckered, but it's not smooth... it's kinda... rippled.

...O_O...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ April 18 2004,3:11)]If they don`t have scale now then spraying will do no good,just let them recover.
                                                                              Best of luck,
                                                                              pond-boy.
actually it would do good. if would keep scale from getting on the plant in the future. once they are on the plant it is very hard to get rid of them with insecticide, they stay glued to the leaf, and the insecticide never enters their body

If you use systemic, it works, I had a HUGE infestation, that I killed with Orthene.

Well, I looked for Orthene for, like, ever, but I couldn't find the right kind anywhere... you say systemic? Okay, I actually did find several different systemic Orthene variations.. what *exactly* should it say on the front? I'll go and get some the first chance I get, I just need to know exactly what to get..

I feel I've been denied important.. need-to-know.. information.

If you do get orthene be very careful with it it`s one of the most dangerous pesticides on the market,as well as the most afective!

Yes, but I just need to know exactly what KIND of Orthene to get... it's incomprehendable (oooo... big word!!!! ^_^) how many kinds and variations of Orthene they have on the WalMart shelves.

um... the one that kills aphids?
tounge.gif

There are no aphids..

And BTW, I cut off the sickly, overly-curled, premature pitchers, because they might've infected the three perfectly healthy pitchers coming up. Yes, I finally have three perfectly healthy pitchers coming up. Another wierd thing with the sick pitchers I cut off was that the leaf part of the pitchers just... kind of... disintigrated... nothing was eating it, and yet it didn't show any signs of blackening or dieing... parts of the leaves just... just... disappeared...

Back