What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bragging rights

Sir Bugweed says he has 83+ buds on his plants. I was wondering what everyone else is getting. My 'Tarnoks' are covered up (as we say down south) and quite amazing. This is their first year to bloom.

well, i guess just you and me and phil got flowers this year!
laugh.gif

I noticed that Sarraceniaobsessed neglected to mention his 350 blooms. SOOOOOOOOO many to play with, and I wasn't invited!!! And my veinless oreophila I got from J. Mazrimas and only green from bottom to top, was replanted this spring. The leaf now opening became red veined and isn't through with final form yet. We'll see what it decides to do. My veinless became veined!

I only have 9 but one of them is S. purp montana so
tounge.gif

Wow Mike,
I don't know if I would have the patience to count all those. We had 42 flowers on rubra gulfensis alone. My wife Michelle just made twenty pollinations crossing selected clones to each other; mostly hybrids, but some species (like our two best giant leucos from rt. 65 south of the App. National Forest).

Trent

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mike King @ April 15 2004,7:40)]More than 1,500 for me...
Mike, you're not the NCCPG National collection holder of Sarracenia! You're the International collection holder of Sarracenia!
biggrin.gif
Thats A LOT of flowers!!

I'm in the midst of a Virginia to Wisconsin move (spending tonight in Ohio). I never counted, but am guessing around 100 prior to the move. We'll see how many buds are still intact when I get to Wisconsin tomorrow. Most of the stalks are still under 2" tall, so they have a ways to go yet.

My S.minor long county georgia had 4 blooms but I removed them since they are new divisions I got last fall from jerry and I was afraid they`d kill the plants.

sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
 Not 1 single solitary flower out of over 20 plants
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif

Steve

Steve, I feel your pain!
sad.gif

Mike, You don't do seed. You let them bloom anyway, huh? Have to say, you have one of the finest collections of sarracenia I have ever seen. Good work!

Thanks Steve! After the flowers have blooms, unless I want the seed from cross polinations, I systematically remove every flower head to give the pitchers their best chance of light and keep the plants themselves tidy. I was only guessing on the number of flowers; it will be more but the largest greenhouse has 1200 mature plants alone (Species only), the hybrid greenhouse has approx 700 to 800 plants, there are 300 purps outside and finally 700 to 800 plants in the sales greenhouse, and they are all puching flowers through!

There are more than 800 flavas and when the flowers open, think of me guys!
biggrin.gif

That's not going to smell nice Mike! Maybe the rubra flowers will combat the flava blooms
biggrin.gif

Have you got any special crosses planned?

Mike, I am ready to cross pollinate as soon as you send me a ticket. Shall I bring my own bagging material? LOL

Wow that is a lot of flowers. I have a measely seven.:(

yes Guys,
I have several crosses planned. Its going to be basic crosses, but with the more spectacualr clones to get improvements on the existing plants. For example, I grow a lot of S x moorei, last year I crossed my L18 with F18 (Both huge growers with wide pitcher mouths) and you never know!

This year, I wish to cross F22,F26 F18 with L18,L19,L46 to see what comes out. The aim would be plants taller than 4 feet..

Back