What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My s. catesbaei started to flower and stopped

The flower came up and started to open and hasn't done anything for 3 weeks. Looks healthy conditions haven't changed. Any ideas?

My alata white flower has sone the same thing! It was the first bud to arrive and it's been at about 2 inches for a couple of weeks. Everything else has overtaken it.

That means the flowers aborted... First sign of something wrong. How are you growing it?

Please try to capitalize the "S" and remember this is a hybrid so put an x after the S.

Thanks,
pond-boy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ April 18 2004,3:13)]Please try to capitalize the "S" and remember this is a hybrid so put an x after the S.

Thanks,
                                                                                     pond-boy.
I think most people knew what he meant
rock.gif

Yes,but I didn`t know if he knew the correct terminoligy. So I thought it best to let him know.

I have it in a round tray with some of my other plants and their doing fine. My S. oreo x leuc flowered and it is in the same tray as the S. x Catesbaei (hope that's better pond boy - geez)

Thanks I didn`t mean to be on your case it`s just I didn`t want Pingman to have to modify your post.:)

I also generally edit posts if a severe mistake is made in the latin names and hybrid rules, etc. But also remember alot of folks use internet shorthand. Such as N. aristolochioides is abbreviated as N. aristo and a hybrid like N. x Trusmadiensis x N. macrophylla for example could be abbreviated like N. x Trus x N. macro.

I wasn`t talking about that though I was talking about using capitalization on the "S" and an "x" to indicate its a hybrid:D

I under stand that but many folks just type in the hybrid also longer names like S. rubra subsp. alabamensis can be written as S. alabamensis and the same for S. jonesii.

Kegman, Don't listen to Spec, he speaks from a lack of experience, but he's trying. I got a plant from Jerry in Georgia a couple of months ago. The plant Sarracenia minor, Long County, Georgia came with a very small but noticable flower bud. I planted the rhizome and just added water. And I waited. And waited. Then, I waited some more. Almost 2 months later, and poking up through the soil were, not 1, but 2 buds to bloom for me. The plant has a its own schedule of when it will bloom, or abort a flower. A flower that aborts, simply starts to die back. A flower that may be, just hangs out waiting for the time IT likes for flowering. Then it will come alive and start to grow. Remember, books cannot teach you the flowers habits. The plant itself will teach you all you need to know. Learn to read your plants, you will learn more there than any book can teach you.

Back