What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gettin a h.minor

nep29

BANNED
i chose H.minor becouse apparently it can be grown in hot temps
it is small & cheap
dose any one have some advise for me?

how hot? What are your growing conditions? Day Night temperatures. Light and humidity levels?

While H. minor is more tolerant to WARM temperatures it is still a highland plant prefering cool nights very bright light and high humidity.
Tony

I grow mine in lowland conditions but perhaps a bit brighter and it is fine. but giving some air movement would help...

I have found that nightime drops in temperature of 5-10 degrees is fairly essential with this genus. Although they can take warm (or even hot) conditions during the day, they really need that night time refresher of cool humidity.

H. minor is a personal favorite. Good luck with your new adventure!

I am going to show my ignorance here..."What , AGAIN Joe!??"
tounge.gif

I see you are from New Zealand. Aren't your temps pretty mild anyway, or am I wrong on that?
I think you would be able to grow this pretty successfully. Heliamphora grow really well in 2:1 perlite/peat, but you could use your local sphagnum moss too. They like it wet with drainage, though I have seen them grown well sitting in water. Probably the cp that responds best to fertilization, from what I hear. Never done it myself.

Regards,

Joe

ok thanks i will sit it on my cool window sill where i grow lowii
& sibuyanensis on the tray system should be ok rite?
my usuall humidity out side is around 70 under or higher depends on the day
tounge.gif

I am currently growing a moinor x heterodexa, that I got from Pryo, and it is receiving days of around 80F*, down to about 60-65F* at night with 50%-about 70or 75% at all times, with a good air flow.

Be careful with the standing of them in a water tray. The roots do not want to be compacted or submerged in any way: they need oxygen about them, so too sodden a mix using LFS is not good. Keep the pitchers filled.

ok peat & perlite mix with a dressing of sphagnum on the top for humidity
wink.gif
smile.gif
tounge.gif

I have been growing Nutans giant, tatei var tatei, and heterodoxa and all i can say is that they don't like to sit on water trays. The plant will rot!

I grow my babies in 50% sphagnum peat moss and the other 50% in equal parts of LFS, perlite, and vermiculite.

I hope this helps. By the way, all of my plants have tolerated 100F. However, never buy a heliamphora in summer they can die trying to adjust.

Gus

I would'nt set them in water trays do over head watering their roots will rot if sitting in deep water. Good luck H. minor is a great first Heliamphora.

Electric CarNIVORES
wink.gif

yeah i can't wait to get it

Nep29 WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
Please remember to capitalize the genus name.
Thank-you,
Noah.

I just recieved a hemorphillia too and was wondering what the ideal night temps should be.  Reading on the internet, some plants should have a night time temp of 35-55* every day, is it true?

Hemp...isn't that another name for..pot?
tounge.gif

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ May 10 2004,7:48)]Hemp...isn't that another name for..pot?  
tounge.gif

Cheers,

Joe
Last time I looked it was. Just exactly what are you guys up to???
laugh.gif

BCK

By the way, hemp is a really nice looking plant. Just needs the leaves "pruned" occasionally for a nice open growth. *chuckle*

Yea, it is...

Edit: Spec...don't be calling people names like that. I know you're kidding, but still...best not to do that.

I grow my h. minor lowland. I always thought you grew them highland,but Jeremiah told me to grow it lowland and its working great! Just open the tank daily to let some air circulate.

Hemp is NOT the same as pot. Though it can be. Most varieties of hemp do not have that "special" chemical in them. That is why it is legal to eat (inspected) hemp seed and process the fibers. Look up the use of hemp in early American history. You may find it quite interesting.

Oppps... sorry for the wrong abbriviation of hemorphillia... I was in a rush so the wording came out a little weird. Sounds kind of cool though...(LOL)

Back