What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ants in my p....

....pitchers (what else?)

Yesteday, I witnessed for the first time, ants crawling up and into my pitchers. The walked up the plant quite quickly, but once they got inside, it seemed like they got lethargic all of the sudden. I vaguely remember something about hairs making it difficult for insects to get out...but there are no such hairs visible on my plants. I wonder why the ants behaved the way they did. Can someone explain the phenomenon to this newbie?

thanks,
Warren

Warren,
I pretty sure that the nectar secretions are drugged. I know that it is for neps, anyway, and I'm pretty sure the same holds true for most sars. Kinda gets the bugs drunk, so they're more likely to loose their footing.

ugh... I KNEW that drinking that nep nectar was a bad idea... *staggers into wall and falls face down*

Hi Warren,
There are hairs inside the pitcher to keep bugs from getting out. However, these are only in the lower section of the pitcher. The upper part, that you see easily, has a slippery waxy coating. The idea is that insects are attracted by the nectar and/or bright foliage. The loaded bugs then topple down the slippery rim of the pitcher.
tounge.gif

Peter

Thanks guys.

With all the warm weather we've been having out here, the ants are very active outside now. We're having ants in the house for the first time this year.

This evening, I came home to find a steady path of ants making their way to my pitchers that were welcoming them with open mouths  
laugh.gif

Warren

...and they keep coming.

Here are a couple of photos I took today at dusk.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get a good close-up shot in natural light (I hate the focusing on my Canon A40 digital) - so I had to settle for a flash photo - still a little out of focus. The photo of the entire plant, I did get by with natural light, but it's not the best.

Warren
ants_in_pitcher.sized.jpg

pitchers.sized.jpg

Hey, those are nice shots! Hee hee....it's like watching drunk tight rope walkers....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Warren @ April 29 2004,7:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]This evening, I came home to find a steady path of ants making their way to my pitchers that were welcoming them with open mouths
laugh.gif
Haha! Classic!

Reminds me of a computer game called 'Lemmings'!

Yes, I get plenty of ants in my sarras. I don't know how the ants sensed the nectar in the pitchers given that ants sense by touch (as opposed to air bourne chemicals). They would have to cross a watery moat ( ie. the water tray). Everytime I look into the pitcher, there's a colony of ants waiting to be digested....... good for the plant!

Back