What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parrot pitcher plant?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I just visited a local nursery and noticed some "Sarracenia Species" being sold under the name "Parrot Pitcher Plant." It doesn't look like a purp or leuco or rubra. It reminds me of dixie lace, but I don't think it is that.

parrot pitcher plant= Sarracenia psittaciana (sp?)

I may be forced to take a pic with my infamous complimentary Earthlink camera and post a pic that will be in focus - and too far away, or a blurry close up. Thanks, Spec.

parrot pitcher is a pitcher plant with special pitchers
it has sharp hairs pointing down the narrow entrance so when insects come in, if they try to back out, they will get hurt from the needles. this forces the insect to keep walking into the pitcher and fall into the digestive juices.
hope that helps
Hellz

Well like everyone else said, it is in the sarracenia family with purpurea and everything else
Jim: yay post a pic! Even if its blurry you can still tell how its different from other sarrs.
Anyway, it looks like a cobra (darlingtonia) without fangs and recumbent leaves. Of course it does trap differently as hellzdungeon said.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (droseradude @ May 01 2004,9:22)]Well like everyone else said, it is in the sarracenia family with purpurea and everything else
Jim: yay post a pic! Even if its blurry you can still tell how its different from other sarrs.
Anyway, it looks like a cobra (darlingtonia) without fangs and recumbent leaves. Of course it does trap differently as hellzdungeon said.
and its pitchers are flat against the ground

it is a Sarracenia that forms rosettes of decoment leaves, like Purpurea, but the pitchers are closer in structure to a darlingtonia than a Sarracenia.

Our local Target had some plants labled "Cobra Lily" which were actually the Scarlette Belle" form of S. x wriggliana.
I am guessing it's one of Agristarts hybrids that are mislabled.

Regards,

Joe

Man, my typing sucks today.
mad.gif

For Everyone's General Knowledge,
'Scarlet Belle' was named by Bob Hanrahan, and was selected from hundreds of wrigleyanas. It was given cultivar status not only for its good looks, but for its vigor and toughness. Agristarts has the plant in tc and it is widely available.
It is really annoying to see it marketed as a 'cobra lily'-this only adds more confusion for the cp newbie.

ya, i bought a Sarrcenia and it was labeled Cobra Plant with a picture of a cobra sitting in a pot with scotch tape on its nose...
i was like "WTF IS DIS?!"

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ April 30 2004,7:18)]parrot pitcher plant= Sarracenia psittaciana (sp?)
Thanks guys! No picture yet. They close too soon! I will get one, though. I have had three votes for the S. psitticina.

Here's the picture in the foreground

101_0170.jpg

What was it?

Agree with S. 'Dixie Lace'

Are you sure? It looks a bit pale for DL

If it truly is just a "Parrot Pitcher Plant" then it, with 100% certainty is s. psitticina. That's its common name.

...that could be a hybrid though. I don't have any experience with dixie lace.

It's not S. psittacina, though it looks like a S. psittacina hybrid. I agree with the call that it looks like Dixie Lace.

looks like dixie lace.

I agree with Dominic and V - looks like Dixie Lace to me. Its probably on the pale side due to sub-par growing conditions, as it is with most garden centers. Give it time to get its "tan" in good full sun and it should color up like a Dixie Lace...

Quick link to ICPS: Dixie Lace

Back