What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cep seed startification

I'm goign to startify my Cephalotus seeds. I'm going to put them in a wet towel and stick it in the fridge, then take it out and let it sit. How long to I keep it in the fridge (is it 3 weeks or 3 months?)

months, like it says in The Savage Garden

On most websites they say that two months should be sufficient.

I tried growing Cephalotus from seed for the first time this year. Seed collected from my plant was placed on a moist paper towel and put in the refrigerator for 3 months (31 October - 30 January). On 30 January 2004, the seed was planted on the surface of peat and perlite. On 29 March 2004, the seed had started to germinate. Seedlings are still alive today and growing in the greenhouse very slowly.

Bob:

I wonder if stratification is necessary for ceph seeds to germinate. Phill Mann who grows them all the time, told me once that he just puts the seeds in the media and after three months seedlings show up
smile.gif

Gus

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I wonder if stratification is necessary for ceph seeds to germinate.
Good point Gus. I was going to add to my earlier message, that my single attempt was not a definitive recommendation, but simply that it seemed to work. I fully expected that since I did nothing to encourage pollination, my flowers would have produced no viable seed and that nothing would germinate. I was surprised when I saw little seedlings. I did not have enough seeds to experiment further, but you make an important point that current recommendations are often followed blindly without further experimentation using alternative approaches.

As much as I really LIKE the words "startify" and "startification" (kind of accurate in a way since you are "starting" seeds)...

the words are "STRATIFY" and "STRATIFICATION".
smile.gif

You never know if something is a typo or misspelling...but I think those are cool new words.
biggrin.gif

Back