What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is your method of germinating

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
It took a month for my S. alata to germinate. I have some "mixed" seeds that are taking longer. How do YOU do it?

Hi Jim,
We germinate both Nepenthes and Sarracenia in the same style tray. We buy those plastic shoe storage containers at Target or K-mart, with the covers. The seed is sown by my wife Michelle, who has great fingers for the job (after years of guitar playing, my fingertips have no sensation), on a peat-milled sphagnum mix for the Neps. The containers are placed in a shady part of the greenhouse with the cover (clear plastic) on. The Sarracenia seed is sown on a peat-sand milled sphag mix. In both cases, the trays are filled a little past half way up, and carefully grade the surface to make it as flat as possible.The seed is not buried in both Neps and Sarrs, but is carefully misted with a topical fungicide. This provides the surface moisture for both the Nep seed and the Sarr. seed. The covers are placed on the plastic containers and the Sarracenia trays go into the refrigerator for a minimum of six weeks. After six weeks the trays are removed and placed in a bright open shade condition-no direct sun, but bright. The Sarrs are pretty quick to germinate. Right now we've got a bunch coming along nicely, and another group of trays coming out of the 'fridge this weekend. The Neps are slower. It may take months before germination, and seed viability will vary. They need warm, constant humidity. Once germination occurs, the plastic covers are replaced with saran wrap. Now conditions in the tray is brighter, and the plants get to harden-both Neps and Sarrs. After a couple of leaves are produced, we start peeling back the Saran wrap-a little at a time, to acclimate the small seedlings. After a few weeks they are growing in open trays-the Sarrs outside in bright shade and the Neps in the greenhouse. The rest is history.
Hope this has been helpful. Good luck!

Trent

Clear tops on those? I think most the ones I see have blue tops...
sad.gif

Regards,

Joe

Joe,
The clear tops are hard to find. For the Sarrs we use the clear, blue tinted tops while in the fridge. When they come out, they are immediately replaced with the saran wrap. The Sarrs need fairly bright light, but still no direct sun. The neps get the clear or translucent tops.

Trent

Wow, thanx! Great detail! I know the plastic shoe boxes to which you refer. I use them for CP's as well.

Back