What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia relocating

Ok i have a bunch of sarracenia seedlings a half inch tall that have been growing under lights since febuary. And want to move them outside for the summer to get them growing faster. because they are very slow. I wanted to make sure that they wont suffer from sunburn or something that will hurt them. Lmk
laugh.gif

Moving the sarracenia seedlings outside probably won't make them grow faster - assuming they are healthy inside. If you move them outside, make sure to keep the soil wet at all times and you'd best give them some shade at first. I also had some seedlings the same size. After transplanting them into six-packs (the kind you get young plants in at nurseries) I moved them outside in a tray of water. After just a few days I came back to check on them but in the heat they had become bone-dry. I guess that since the young plants have almost no place to store water, they are very unforgiving.
Peter

ok maybe i will hold them inside they are healty but for some reason some keep wilting and dying and i dont know why i always keep there tray with a half inch of water. They seem to wilt and dry up but the soil isnt dry.

Move them to complete shade for a few days and then, if they seem OK, move them to a spot with early morning or late afternoon sun. If they're fine after a few more days, move them to a sunnier spot. Expect the migration to total sun to take at least a couple weeks. And watch them while it's happening. I check plants a couple times per day while they're moving out. I have plants in various stages and it doesn't take more than a couple minutes to check them all.

yeah i could try it . By the way i have some hybrid seeds that germinated outside after being left out all winter. ANd they seemed to have grown as much as the ones inside exept i had them 4 months inside and the ones outside just came up last week and they are almost the same size?
rock.gif

help they are dying fast
mad.gif
i mean fast! should i repot thm into pure spagnum because they are n pure peat?

Sounds like a damping off problem to me. The fungal infection makes it appear that they are unable to get water as they dry out and die.
You need to put them somewhere where there is air circulation, so I would put them outside, in the shade at first. There is always more light outside too, so they should actually grow faster. You might also consider spraying them with fungicide.

thats what i will do tomorow i move them outside in the shade protected from squirels cause they will dig them out.
biggrin.gif

I actually had the same problem with sprouts shriveling up and was wondering why. Even in pure Sphagnum. Thanks Alvin!
Peter

Back