What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrariums and heliamphora

I'm setting up a new terrarium for some plants, and I was wondering about the conditions. I want to grow a heliamphora heterodoxa xminor alongside an N. venticosa, lance leaf sundew, and king sundew. Any suggestions on temps (F) humidity, light, etc

Thanks,
Craig

I can't speak for the Nepenthes ventricosa, but I can say that if by lance leaved sundew you mean Drosera linearis, that this is a temperate sundew requiring a frozen dormancy. Although it might grow in your terrarium (if you can find one, that is!) it would have to be removed for winter dormancy requirements. Drosera regia also is not the best choice for terrarium culture, preferring less humid conditions with good air circulation and a nice nighttime drop in temps. If grown well, D. regia gets quite large, leaves a foot tall are not uncommon.

Heliamphora like cool temps., but these are often grown in terraria if you can avoid heat buildup.

I believe Lance-leaved sundew is the common name for D. adelae.  I'm not sure it will handle the cool nights that the Heliamphora wants. You might get away with it.

The D. regia is going to be a problem, though.

Thanks DM, I forgot the common name of this sundew, but I remember now!

I think D. adelae would be happy in the same conditions as the Heliamphora. it is a very adaptable species.

Hmmm.....
I know the ventricosa will do well. I checked it out, and I can work out temps/humidity
as for the others-

Lance leaf- I can find a happy medium for temperature, because the heterodoxa x minor can handle higher temperatures than other heliamphora. That's why I got it.

King- not a terrarium plant? OK, I think I'll move it to another area. What conditions do you recommend?

Also, I have an N. rafflesiana that has recently seemed to "dry up" It's leaves dried up look like they have brown dust all over them. They aren't producing pitchers, and the old one shriveled up in 24 hours! Only one leaf hasn't succumbed yet. Any advice?

Back