What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tepuy expedition

Dear fellow Carnivorous Plant Enthusiasts,

I am organizing an expedition to 13 of the Venezuela Tepuy Mountains with the intent of see all Heliamphora species in the wild; to learn more about these fascinating plants, their ecology and population sizes.

I have just returned from Venezuela. Whilst there, it became apparent to me, that to visit this fascinating part of our world, all it would require is planning, preparation and teamwork.

The expedition will include Roraima, Kukenan, Yurani, Ilu, Tramen, Ptari, Aparaman, Akopan, Chimanta, Aprada, Auyan, Neblina and Huachamaracare.

If you would like to join this expedition and experience the Heliamphora and their unearthly wind carved habitats, please email me.

In addition to Heliamphora, Brochinia, Utricularia and Drosera, the tepuyes offer a diversity of flora and fauna including hundreds of species of orchids. The surrounding region ‘La Gran Sabana’ offers perhaps the most incredible landscape on the planet, including the largest drop waterfall in the world. It will be an experience of a lifetime.

Transportation will be by helicopter from Santa Elena on the Brazilian boarder. Initial departure date; September.

All costs will be split equally. The expedition will consists of 4 phases, varying in duration and cost.

No previous mountaineering experience required just a desire and determination to experience this extraordinary part of the world.

For further information please contact me; stewart@mcpherson.net

Stew, welcome to the forums.

Now that sounds like a cool trip.  Considering it involves use of a helicopter and lots of equipment, i expect it will be rather expensive.  There are many here who are going to want to know this as well, so can you give an estimate on the price?

Welcome to the forums? He's been a member longer than you or I, lol.
Sounds fun and expensive indeed.

Joe

I am interested, but I have been told I would need to strap 60 lbs to my frame and exercise daily for 6 months before attempting a stroll up Neblina.

I would like an estimate as well, as well as a prospective date. If my money arrives within the timeframe I might consider the expidition.

O MAN!!! i am so jealous of anyone that goes on this trip! i'd love to go, but am unable to at this point in my life. i have seen the pbs show about the tepui's (sp?), and it looks absolutely awsome. simply awe inspiring!

i'm already looking forward to the hundreds of photos taken on this trip!

peace,
tech...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ May 25 2004,1:07)]Welcome to the forums? He's been a member longer than you or I, lol.
 Sounds fun and expensive indeed.

Joe
Hmm, well sorry if i didn't recognize the name. It said he only had one post, so...

I imagine hiking tepuis would indeed be high-impact. But well worth it!

Thanks for the notes, its a pleasure to have interest in the expedition and the opportunity to meet you all.

In regards to costs, this depends upon the parts of the expedition you wish to join. It will consist of 4 phases, (each visiting 2 to 5 tepuyes) and each between 11 and 20 days long. The costs depends upon helicopter flight time, (which again will depend upon weather) though to visit the cheapest phase, (Roraima, Kukenan, Yurani, Ilu and Tramen) costs will be around US$2,000 dollars. Depending upon final numbers, you could also just come for one specific tepuy (this being much cheaper)

It might be easiest if you send me your email addresses, so I can send you a full expedition proposal detailing all of the fine points of the trip. It is too long to post here, please email, stewart@mcpherson.net

Alternatively, I am also climbing Roraima by foot in September, this will be much cheaper than the expedition and if anyone is interested in joining me, please contact me.

In regards to fitness, since transportation between tepuyes is by helicopter, trekking will be limited to the relatively flat tepuy summits. It is completely possible for anyone to go out there and experience these incredible plants and this inspiring landscape, and I am sure, have the trip of a lifetime.

If you are interested, please email me, it would be a pleasure to have join the trip.

PS I apologize for the 'travel guide' feel, that really is not the intent, but I am just try to begin the process of organizing a serious expedition.

Back