What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia purpurea..

H all!

I just got a S purpurea from the local store.
I'm a total n00b when it comes to sarrs, so could anyone tell me what to do wid it? (wouldnt wanna kill it right away
confused.gif
)

I placed it on the windowsill where it has about 4-5 hours of direct light a day, soaked the soil, and misted it thoroughly.
The pitchers are empty as of now ( no fluid, that is), should they be?

Should i try feeding it directly, or should I wait a coupla days mebbe?
Do the milk trick work on this species too? If yes, how much and how often?

With your help, hopefully I won't kill off my new baby just yet...

Thanks! /Quensel.

fill the pitchers up half way with water, and give it the same conditions as Venus Flytraps.  They're actually alot easier to care for the VFT's believe it or not.

Oh, sounds easy...

Same as vft as in tray of water too?

what?! you are suppose to fill sarr pitcher?!
i was told that they make thier own fluids like Darlintonia in the pitchers by stimulation when a insect falls in the trap and trys to climb out...

I think this needs some clarification - MOST sarracenia (the upright species) pitchers should not be filled with water, since their lids would naturally prevent this from happening in the wild.  In fact, filling upright pitchers with water would make a lot of them fall over.

Purpurea is the exception since its pitcher is open to the sky - it actually needs to collect rainfall in order to fill the pitchers and drown prey.  In cultivation you should just keep the pitchers filled yourself to the optimum amount, about half-full or so.

Hope this helps.

Mike

No misting required!
Fill the pitchers up with water(not too much water)
Put it on the tray system(again, not too much water)
Sunlight levels are fine
Hope this helps!
smile_n_32.gif

Make sure it always has at least a quarter of an inch of distilled or clean rain water in its tray at all times. The amount of sun you're giving it seems fine. Misting isn't necessary, but it does help a little in my experience. And yes, the milk thing is very good. I'd say give it a drop of whole milk (it doesn't really matter what kind, but I've found whole milk to bring on more effect) in 20% of it's total number of pitchers once a month. It brings on a serious growth spurt for mine. And make sure it always has water in every fully open pitcher about half way all the time. MOST Sarracenias, they don't need this, because they produce digestive juice on their own without any water in them when a bug enters the pitcher, but the purp can't do it on its own, so it's gonna need to have some water in the pitchers so it can create digestive juices.

Good luck!

Greetings,
FTG, a.k.a lovesick Kenny-Chesney-lunatic

I let my purp pots get as dry as concrete on a hot summer day sometimes. Doesn't seem to bother them, and no matter what you say I'm still gonna do it, because when I let it dry out like that, I get humongo pitchers!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif
smilie4.gif
(Could fit a half dollar in there)

Well, I got humungo pitchers last year on my last purp. You know, the one I was always yelling about being so huge? The one that died from alleged scale contracted from my minors? I took care of it exactly as I say above and I could fit half dollars in them pitchers too. So I really don't think it's the amount of water you give it that determines what size pitchers you're gonna get.

Yea, but it works for me, so i aint gonna change anything and risk getting skimpy ones!
smile_n_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

By humongo pitchers, do you mean something like this?

sppgigant.jpg

Thats pretty big, I'd say...

The more light the better, and direct sun induces a nice red coloration.  I recommend that you don't feed your plant too much.

happy growing,

-Homer

Back