What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora x

• Thread starter mcrwt644
  • Start date
probably an old topic, but I just ordered two heliamphora x's and I have lent my cp book out. What is a good solid medium for this plant, as well as growing conditions. I have most of my sars in direct light outside....

My favorite is two parts perlite to one part peat.

Joe

smilie4.gif

no no no!!!
smile_n_32.gif

1/3 perlite, 1/3 sphagnum moss, 1/3 coconut husk chips and a touch of peat to hold it all together..

Place into greased baking pan and cook for 30min at 350 DOH sorry was making brownies while replying.

Seriously though:
Well drained but yet loose and airy, which any of the mentioned formulas are. And I am sure other growers can add more variations which fit the bill.
As for other conditions:
Bright light, high humidity, cool nights
Tony

ps Don't go baking your potting mix as it would likely catch on fire!

Oooooh, I want to compare recipes!!! >;-D

LFS:perlite:Bark:Charcoal:Gro-Coir
mad.gif

Plus I like to top dress with milled sphagnum and little pieces of live sphag here and there to start it off with.
smilie4.gif

tony, that was funny, you had me going quite a bit! I am thinking of starting the heliamphora inside under lights first to get a feel and get them started, then taking them outside in a shaded area first, then to full sun. Humidity is not a problem cooler nights may be.

Back