What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cobra plant

Hello all!
I am having some serious problems keeping my cobra plant cool. I tried ice cubes in water and on the the soil. I also tried to shade it behind paper, but that didnt work either.
Any suggestions?
Thank you for any help,
Dino

I keep mine outside, under a PVC drainage pipe, dripping pure, cool water from our air conditioning unit. The temp is ~60 degrees.

Well, for one I dont have air conditioning, and second, im not sure if the UK can provide the correct climate for cobra plants.

I know several UK growers who have no problems with them.
One thing you might try is a Styrofoam box or small cooler with a hole on the top big enough for the plant to stick thru, but otherwise shilds the pot from the sun. Put ice water in the cooler(or just ice). This method worked for Susan Farington when she was at the Missouri Botanical Gardens in St. Louis.
BTW, what compost are you suing? That may help to know.

Cheers,

Joe

It's way too hot to grow here, so whenever I get one of those, I just trade it for something different
smile_n_32.gif

Bruce Lee Bednar grows them in LaBelle, FL. I don't know how south that is , but I thought I would mention it.

Joe

Actually you are a couple hrs north of there. I have grown them in the past by watering well and keeping them semi-shaded during the summer. I've never had the two foot tall leaves that other people seem to get but they grew pretty well. By the way LaBelle is down by Ft. Meyers on the western edge of the Everglades.

hi all
i keep my 2 plants in window good sun
and around 80* in Terrariums
i spray with ice water rain water i keep cold
about every 3 days
there both growing like crazy i am in wv usa
i see new growth on both one has 7 other has 5
where would i post pictures
thanks eddy
smile.gif

Back