What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do alot of people grow cephs?

I just posted these photos on another thread, but I saw this and decided to post them here as well.

The only place I have good luck with cephs is in the public CP house. I think its becuase the humidity is high and the temps at night drop about 15 degrees lower then the daytime temps. I think this temperature drop is very inportant.

Here is the biggest plant, its in an 8" pot.
bigceph.JPG

bigceph2.JPG

Its also flowering right now...
cephflower.JPG

I have killed my share of Cephs, and I can't grow them very well in the production houses. I think the key is high humidity and the night time drop in temps.

Steve
Grand Rapids, MI

nice pics, you should post them of the thread "ceph pics"

Wouldnt it be cool if petflytrap.com sold cephs!
Have they ever sold cephs?

Where do you guys get your cephs?

Hi all:

There are couple of places in the states that sell cephs

Please PM me if you want me to give you their names.

Gus

Steve that is a wonderful plant, flowering even. How long did it take for your plant to produce a flower stalk then bloom?

Ok, here are a couple photos of my Cephalotus German Giant. It is growing in a 4" pot.

CephGermanGiant061404.jpg

CephGermanGiantBigSmallTraps061404.jpg

CephGermanGiantPlantTop061404.jpg

CephGermanGiantOddTrapBigTrap061404.jpg

The two traps on the left did not form right. One has little or no teath, and the other is a bit odd as well. Kinda like a vampire.

CephGermanGiantPurpleTraps061404.jpg

CephGermanGiantTrap061404.jpg

Currently the largest trap. I will have to get a measurement later as I couldn't find the ruler.

CephGermanGiantGrownBaggy061404.jpg

Someone asked how I grew my plants. Here you can see its in a sealed ziplock bag. The photo shows the plant sitting closer to the lights than it actually is. The plant sits on the table about 8 inches from the light. The larger trap should color up in a week or so as it just opened a couple days ago.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Flip_Side_the_Pint @ June 13 2004,9:14)]Steve that is a wonderful plant, flowering even. How long did it take for your plant to produce a flower stalk then bloom?

Charles Brewer is the gentalman I buy Cephs from. I emailed him this morning to find out if he has any plants available right now. If anyone is interested in his contact info, please PM me. He has some of the nicest cephs I've seen.

The plants in the photos are from cuttings and are probably about 5 years old. They flower every year about this time.

Steve

Hmmm, a lot of people have been saying they were only able to grow cephs in closed containers. Is there anyone out there able to grow cephs in "open air". They probably use the closed containers for humidity issues. So if you do grow them in "open air", how do you deal with the humidity?
confused.gif

Here is a photo of the Cephalotus growing at Meijer Garden in MI. It is growing in the Carnivorous Plant House.

cephalotus.jpg

you should post that pic in the thread "Ceph Pics" too.

I have a question though..
a lot of people have been saying they were only able to grow cephs in closed containers. Is there anyone out there able to grow cephs in "open air". They probably use the closed containers for humidity issues. So if you do grow them in "open air", how do you deal with the humidity?

I grow them in open air, but I am also growing them in a greenhouse with a pond and "creek" and supplemental mist being pumped in for humidity. In a home situation, I think your best bet is going to be in a terrarium of some sort or a bag, etc...
The humidity stayes above 60% and is often around 80%. The temperature also drops at night.

A follow up on seed...
Charles wrote me back and said that he gets good seed set by using a natural bristle brush and lightly dusting each flower every morning noon and night for several days as the flowers continue to open. Once you get seed set, you have to really watch, the seed is very small and easy to let drop if you wait too long. The seed can take a very long time to germinate and one of the things he is trying is to set the pots out durring the day and refridgerat them at night. Cool and damp is the key.

Steve

PS - Me spellin is awfull! I am too lazy to correct it...

How much of a temp drop do cephs really need? My growing area is like 75 degrees in the day and 65-68 degrees at night...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mijako10 @ June 17 2004,8:39)]How much of a temp drop do cephs really need? My growing area is like 75 degrees in the day and 65-68 degrees at night...
I give my ceph around 80-85 degrees in the day, and high 40's at night

ummm... okay... I should probably be worried then.  crying --> ;_; sob

Add on:
OK! OK! I just read in my (well, the library's) Carnivorous Plants of the World book that cephs can grow well at constant temps from 70 to 85 degrees... There's hope!!

!^.^!

Of course... when I finally do get a growing area set up in my basement I'll moving a ceph cutting down there. I'll probably be making lots of cuttings when my plant gets big. That is... if it survives.

Agh! I'm gonna jinx my ceph! >_<!!

It's on it's way right now... o.o''

I have a small rooted leaf cutting outside in 30-60% humidity. I make sure it' in soggy boggy spagnum every day. It's also in shade, with indirect light all day except for 2 hours around sunset. Does have the appropriate temps and night drop. I can't say if it's doing stellar yet, but it's been outside for 3 weeks and is not doing worse.

Back