What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do alot of people grow cephs?

I really love cephs. Nepenthes and cephalotus's are the only CP's I care to grow and it seems that there aren't many people talking about cephs in this forums. I say Cephs need thier own dedicated forums.

I mean when you think about it they are way diferent then sarras and darrs and the like. They are so different in fact thier native land is on the other side of the planet compared to the other guys...

just wondering why there are only post about cephs when someone needs help and not more "hey look at my ceph" or "have you seen so and so's ceph" posts. Theres tons of post regarding sarras and darrs and the like...

I'd just like to see more talked about cephs is all. I guess there nothing I can really do about it. Maybe though if they had thier own dedicated forum it'd be different.... -wink- -wink-

I grow a cephalotus. I dont think that many people do. I would love to post pictures but I dont have a digital camera.

thats sweet!

I know thats there people that grow them I wish we would just talk about them more....

Maybe people don't talk about them more because you can't really hybridize them and there really isn't a variety. "how would you like your ceph sir? red or green?" hahahahah. The it seems most people that grow them aren't new to the game, meaning there seems to be more new players then not. It also seems that the more experienced growers of things like cephs don't talk about thier ways too much... you secretive fiends you
laugh.gif
biggrin.gif
 all in good fun...

There seem to be a lot of people interested in finding a Ceph. So, maybe as more and more do, there'll be more discussion of them. There are different forms and some people collect them. I have one and trade away a division or two every year, but don't find them especially difficult to grow. I assume that's partly because they happen to like the kind of potting mixes I like to use. Maybe more importantly, I don't try to turn them red in the sun. I like them green and they seem less stresssed out grown in dappled light.

As for experienced growers hoarding their secrets; what's really happening is that they're spending their time with plants while people like us are spending our time typing.

I grow cephs... I have a pitcher on my hummers giant that has been inflating 6 months!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
It's gonna be a huge pitcher!
smile_m_32.gif

I currently grow a typical and a German Giant.

I grow German Giant and Hummer's Giant. Evidently Josh was correct about the need for bigger plants being the reason for... Well, you get the idea.
smile_n_32.gif

I would love to have a ceph. Are they hard to grow compared to other CP?

For how hard they are to grow, Id say more difficult than sarracenia or the Venus flytrap, but not as hard as Nepenthes.

I'd love to have one. I wouldn't grow a ceph until I could grow a heliamphora. It seems like they need similar conditions... cool and humid. Cephs don't seem very hard to grow. Just tempermental. But feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. o_O

I have never had luck growing a cephalotus outside of a enclosed terrarium or baggy. Every time I try to grow them in the open, the plant dies within a couple of days. In order for me to get cephs to grow, I have to put them in a ziplock bag under lights or in a enclosed terrarium.

When I got the two cephs I have now, I put them in an open container to see what would happen. I assumed they were not grown in sealed containers so they should be ok. Well, in just a few short days,the typical died away to a single leaf and the Giant form started to decline as well. Once I noticed this, I put them in a sealed ziplock bag under lights. As of today, the typical has grown from that single leaf into a rossette about 1 1/2 inches in diamater. The Giant form is now twice as big as the typical and 3x the size it was when I bought it.

For me they are difficult, but I can get them to grow well in large ziplock bags. Go figure...

I have a ceph I got the middle of last year. It's growing good in my terrarium. I've taken several leaf cuttings of this plant. When one of these gets larger, I'm going to try it as a windowsill plant in the sun for red pitchers.

I would really like one, but they are out of my price range... they don't seem that hard to grow

See? they need their own forum!!!

Hey peter they're no expensixe[/b] Tony sells the typical forms of cephs theyre only 20 bux I think. Thats not to bad when you compare it to the neps I've bought.....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I think Cephs are easier than other CPs.  Their advantage over Sarrs is that they tolerate a wide range of lighting.  Cephs seem to do best when overgrowing a pot, like many orchids do.  This typically is a sign of a plant that likes well aerated roots. So I believe Cephs are happiest in a loosely packed medium, not the gooey mucks many people prefer to use.

I don't think there is any lack of interest in cephs...the problem is they are hard to obtain. They are slow growing so you can't propagate them by the tons like D. capensis. Like most slow growing plants, they tend to be expensive for that reason. There are lots of people looking for cephs.

I have one and it is growing well. I think I have a photo of it posted on Patrick's CP Gallery. It has produced 2 new pitchers and has several baby pitchers starting. It took a loooong time before it stopped producing juvenile pitchers and starting growing the mature ones. I have not had any problems growing it...it is in a tank and since its growing well there, I'm not going to move it! I am trying my first leaf cutting, so we'll see how it goes.

There have been several discussions regarding cephs which you can find if you do a search on this forum.

I think they are very cool plants.
smile.gif

I just have to wait and see if I can grow a heliamphora heterodoxa x minor... those are so beautiful... I think I'll set up a growing area in my basement so things don't get so hot.

Heliamohora ARE A LOT HARDER TO GROW THAN CEPHALOTUS!!

o_o''' Eep.
Really? Why? More humidity?
>.+ agh!

Back