What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with pitcher plants!

Hi All

I have a judith Hindle growing prety good and starting to turn red... BUT I have leucophylla ,Ruba, Dixie Lace growing but the thing is They are not producing Mature Pitchers.. They are getting about 3 hours of sun andwatered well and humidty is about 50% to 70%.. They are in Peat and Vermiculte 70 % peat 30 % Vermiculte.. The pitchers are small with the opening about 1/4 inch and under developed. any suggestions?

Thanks

Jim

There could be other factors but 3 hours of sun is not a lot for pitcher plants. They like full sun or close to that if possible.

to get bigger pitchers they need more sun i sugest putting them on a east or south facing window

S. leucophylla and rubra both grow sturdier pitchers in summer and autumn and can grow fairly weak and scrawny ones in spring. S.x Dixie Lace can also grow a lot of smaller pitchers at first before producing better ones.
If you had an S. flava you would have something better for spring
smile.gif

it could be putting up phyllodia, which are leaves where the pitchers never develop. These are used purely for photosynthesis, and could be a response to the lack of light they're getting. Sarras are sun-lovers, there's no such thing as too much sun for them, unless you live in an area with hot, intense sun, in which case shading would be advisable

hmmm.. idk if vermiculite is the best thing for CP except for  mex. pings and some neps.
i would repot and use sand or perlite instead of vermiculite.
Best Wishes,
Hellz

Thanks everyone. I placed them in a a Large planter with a large matching saucer and placed them in direct sun. I will take a pict of them and keep an update on how they are doing...

Thanks again everyone!!!!!!

Well All.. I See that a LOT of Sun will help the pitcher plants.. I also Up rooted the ones that were not doing all the good and poted it and placed it in the sun and it is now pitchering better...

Thanks a lot everyone for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going to get some picts tommorow

Jim

Back