What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ontario

I would like to know what kind of pitcher plants can survive the winter hear and if anyone would be willing to part with a plant
confused.gif

Wheres Ontario? North or south America?

It`s in Canada (North america)

I believe S.purpurea ssp.purpurea and S.x 'dixie lace' would do well. Btw. what zone is ontario?

If its north america, i think a majority of pitcher plants would survive.
Their other common name is north american pitcher plants.

yes it's canada and yes its north america im in the southern part of ontario about 1 to 2 hours from buffalo i have a judith hindel now im still interested in getting a few i have a small bog that i would like to leave them in all yaer roud and im still looking for someone or if anyone knows were i can buy them up hear that would be great

There is only one pitcher plant I would recommend for your neck of the woods: purperea ssp. purperea. This is "our" only naturally occurring, northern species.  I live in southwest lower michigan and this plant is a native of our sphagnum and alkaline marl bogs. It's found well into northern Canada and is adapted to long winters, lots of snow and bitter cold temps. I only have one plant and am not willing to part with it. However, I'm sure you can find one online if you check with the reputable growers, i.e. Cook's or California Carnivores. Make sure you specify ssp. purperea when ordering. This plant has two varieties; ssp. purperea (northern)  and ssp. venosa (southern). The venosa is a "fuzzier", fatter version and is not quite as cold hearty.   I grew four ssp. purperea in a mini bog garden on my lawn for four years before they eventually died. They were burried under two feet of snow for about two months out of each winter.  Of course, if you are going to grow indoors, just about any variety would be a possibility.      Here's how I grew my ssp. purperea. Take a five gallon plastic pail and poke four evenly spaced 1/2 inch holes about half way up the side. Fill the bucket with a 60% peat moss and 40% LFS mix and pack it down good.  Fill it to about three inches from the top. BTW, make sure you moisten the mix real good as you put it in the bucket.  Poke a hole in the soil and place your plant in with just the growing tip showing and pack the soil around it. If you have access to live sphagnum (I do) a top dressing all over the surface adds a nice touch. Otherwise dried LFS will do. Lastly, dig a hole and plant your bucket with about 1 1/2 to 2 inches of the top above ground. WATER COPIOUSLY!!!  An east facing wall or perhaps side of a garden works great. Your plant will get three to five hours of cooler morning sun.  In the winter you can place a  4 or 5 inch layer of moistened LFS over the plant and just leave it in place until spring arrives. Hope this helps!!!
smile_n_32.gif

Yeah.... s. purpurea ssp. purpurea is the only one I can grow year round outdoors, too. I live in Minnesota. Most of the sarracenia species grow in the southeast US but ssp. purpurea is also native to Minnesota and I think New Foundland.

Sounds like you're in my neck of the woods, St.Catharines

Ahhh, I met a fellow the other day that grows S.Flava outdoors, along with tons more, he mulches with pine needles over the winter, Kyle6002 PM me if you want details, I saw his set-up (in Thorold) with my own eyes and now have some Flavas in my own yard
cool.gif

with basic protection, almost any sarracenia can be grown outside in canada. also, there are many retailers in canada who sell s. purpurea ssp. purpurea. Zongyi

Rick Hillier lives in Ontario around Kitchener. Look him up as he grows outdoors. He can also show you Drosera linearis sites. Quite a spectacle!

Back