What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you manage?

How can you keep a straight pitcher without it bending over? I´ve tried everything to keep them standing straight up, but they end up bending after it rains. Normaly the pitchers bent over just die in a matter of days. How can I prevent this?
smile_h_32.gif

Even plants grown in strong light bend over at times. If all of them are bending over, it is probably a matter of them not having sufficient strong sun to make a sturdy pitcher base. If it is just the older pitchers, I'd say relax and accept this as part of the natural habit of the plant. Also, early pitchers are frequently weak and flop over. One wonders if there was a factor of natural selection operating there as well. It may be that early season prey were more earthbound, and the plants received benefit if some of the pitchers were laying on the ground. S. rubra in particular is noted for this behavior, but it creates dramatic specimens in habitat when you see a few straight pitchers standing up in a twisted mound of mouths!

Thanx Tamlin! That explaines everything! I have 4 pitcher plants and the ones who are doing this is the leuco. red, leuco. white and mostly the rubra. Thanx =D

Erick

Back